Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at Lox- now I need some patience

Options
Wolfpack
Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
edited March 2016 in EggHead Forum
One of my favorite things to eat is a toasted everything bagel with some whipped cream cheese, capers and lox.  It was high time for me to give it a try. Now I need some patience as it goes back in the fridge for a day. 

I followed this recipe:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/87043/making-lox-a-picture-guide

just finished cold smoking on the egg for 4 hours using apple pellets (what I had). As the weather was a little warmer today I made an ice pan to help keep the temp down- worked like a charm.

Pics to follow-

anyone else have a favorite recipe?
Greensboro, NC

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    very nice... looking forward to seeing how it turns out
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • annjamaican
    annjamaican Posts: 152
    Options
    Looks good. Somehow I didn't realize that Lox was actually smoked. 
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks good. Somehow I didn't realize that Lox was actually smoked. 
    I've read many places that originally lox was brined but NOT smoked, and that many people still would say that "true" lox isn't smoked.  But I think over the years so many people called cold-smoked salmon "lox" that now it's become standard usage, and I think even many Jewish delis sell cold-smoked salmon as "lox."
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's pretty much what I do.  I stopped using the weight because I like my lox more moist - pressing out more water will make it more oily, not a bad thing, but the fresh water rinse will undo some of that either way.
    Options
    In our house we still make the distinction between lox and nova.  But the distinction seems to be lost in most markets today.  Lox or Nova - no matter what you call it, it is good stuff.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.