Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

6 lb standing rib roast

Options
I plan to smoke a 6 lb standing rib roast this weekend. Any special tips to make this turn out great? Should I use a plate setter? What temperature? I will use a temp probe. It has been deboned and tied back. Thanks for reading and all suggestions.

Comments

• Jcacavias
    Jcacavias Posts: 137
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @tigerdunes lots of different schools of thought on this one.  You could do the normal sear or reverse sear and some have had great results with sous vide.

If it were me, I'd probably do a reverse sear.  Set the egg at 225-250 indirect (use a plate setter with a drip pan) until the center of the meat gets to about 115-120, then remove and get the egg to about 600.  Do a quick sear long enough to get some nice char on the outside.  It should be just shy of 130 IT at that point.  Let it sit for 20 min or so and then carve and serve.  If you're looking for a bit of smokey flavor add a couple of hickory or oak chunks to the lump when you light it up.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I used the Mad Max method over the holidays and the roast was fantastic:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm

The initial high heat puts a pretty good crust on the roast.

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    I air dry it for a few days and slow roast. Never sees high heat, but gets a beautiful brown crust
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    I air dry it for a few days and slow roast. Never sees high heat, but gets a beautiful brown crust
    What temp do you cook at, Darby? I'm interested in trying this. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I dry age, which means the surface was virtually no water, and so it is browning right away (doesn't need to steam off the wayer in the fat). 

But even after say just two or three days drying in the fridge, you will see an improvement. 

I don't care for burnt fat. So i just toss it on at 225-250 and let it go until whatever internal temp is you goal

then take it off and rest. No foil, no tenting. 

Easiest cook there is on the egg

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I'm sure Darby's process will work great. Even without the drying stage, I have not found the need to sear a rib roast and it still develops a nice crust. I know some prefer otherwise, but I go easy on the smoke for something like this.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    A slow roast provides the only method (other than sous vide) where you can maintain the greatest cross section of your desired "doneness" temp. 

I do it because i am lazy, not an expert

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I do it as Darby describes. I have found that the  key is the dry aging for the crust. I will add that I will only use oak for smoke - or nothing.  Oak and beef go perfectly for my taste. Prime grade prime rib is not a cheap cut, so I want to make sure it is as evenly cooked all the way through as possible. I accomplish by getting a stable fire at get the egg to settle at 225, which my large loves (luckily). I will even light it 2-2.5 hrs before to make sure it is the right temp for PR.

Got one aging right now for my birthday dinner. 19.45lbs starting weight. 3 days before cooking, I will take it out of the bag for the outside to get a bit drier, faster. This method has worked well for me several times.  

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I do it as Darby describes. I have found that the  key is the dry aging for the crust. I will add that I will only use oak for smoke - or nothing.  Oak and beef go perfectly for my taste. Prime grade prime rib is not a cheap cut, so I want to make sure it is as evenly cooked all the way through as possible. I accomplish by getting a stable fire at get the egg to settle at 225, which my large loves (luckily). I will even light it 2-2.5 hrs before to make sure it is the right temp for PR.

Got one aging right now for my birthday dinner. 19.45lbs starting weight. 3 days before cooking, I will take it out of the bag for the outside to get a bit drier, faster. This method has worked well for me several times.  

What he said. 

There's nothing gained by a reverse sear above what this method achieves. And with the reverse sear, there's a loss of cross-section (due to the heat jetted at the roast at the end)

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    I dry age, which means the surface was virtually no water, and so it is browning right away (doesn't need to steam off the wayer in the fat). 

But even after say just two or three days drying in the fridge, you will see an improvement. 

I don't care for burnt fat. So i just toss it on at 225-250 and let it go until whatever internal temp is you goal

then take it off and rest. No foil, no tenting. 

Easiest cook there is on the egg

Thanks! I'm going to do this the next time I cook a rib roast. 
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Slow roasting is our go to method.   275-300 oak for smoke. 
    Edina, MN

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I'll triple the 'oak smoke' recommendation. 

That looks great, @Budgeezer

FWIW, littlesteven mentions that with slow roasting, even if you accidentally overshoot your internal (he went as high i think as 150 once), the interior stays red/pink, instead of going gray

• TigerDunes
    Options
    Thank you for your replies and suggestions. I did smoke the roast along with a beef tenderloin plus several Bangor sausages for appetizers. I decided not to do a Sear. Here is the result of the standing rib roast. I had to sample an end piece which was scrumptious. 250 deg with plate setter about 2 1/2 hrs with a drip pan...thx again.

• fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    Looks great!
    War Damn Eagle!
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Looks great. You got any shots of the beef tenderloin?
    Stillwater, MN