Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Garlic Press??

RascalRascal Posts: 3,923
Does anyone have one that really works, to recommend?  Mine is ages old and while it minces a small part of the clove, most of it gets left behind in shredded pieces.  Perhaps the holes are too small...  BTW, I do cut the larger cloves into pieces before pressing.  Thanks for any suggestions!!~~

Comments

• AcnAcn Posts: 4,183
    edited March 2016
    We don't use a garlic press, but I checked the Cook's Country cookbook that we have, and this is their recommended garlic press:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0000CD0HX/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3QZ11MBNMEQJI&coliid=I2RTRNJGCF5DNR

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• DeltaNu1142DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    Meh.

I've been trying to get away from single-purpose devices like garlic presses. I use a knife. YMMV!
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 40,747
    A garlic press in our household is highly used.   It's usually in the dishwasher in every cycle and that's 1 to 2 days.

We found one we liked at Ikea and have bought many of them for gifts and have one in reserve as a backup.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00089163/

Thanks to all for your inputs.. I will check them out with keen interest!  BTW, I am skilled with the use of knives, but often times, mincing 20 or 30 cloves gets a little old after the first few!!  Someone once said that you know you're Italian if everyone but you complains that there's  too much garlic in your dish!!  Still haven't figured out how to work it into oatmeal, but I do use oats instead of bread in my meatloaf!~~ 
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 8,991
    Acn said:
    We don't use a garlic press, but I checked the Cook's Country cookbook that we have, and this is their recommended garlic press:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0000CD0HX/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3QZ11MBNMEQJI&coliid=I2RTRNJGCF5DNR

Amazon tells me I bought one of those back in 2006. It's alright but I don't think it performs much better than my old $5 Ekco. I bought that at the time due to some muscle/medical issues I was having and my grip strength wasn't what it should have been. It did give a little more leverage than my Ekco but once my muscles issues were resolved I went back to my old one and haven't pulled the Kuhn Rikon out of the drawer in years.

If I don't just mince garlic with a knife I'll often use a Microplane so I don't use a press as often anymore.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Camped out in the (757/948/804)

• Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 11,743
    A garlic press in our household is highly used.   It's usually in the dishwasher in every cycle and that's 1 to 2 days.

We found one we liked at Ikea and have bought many of them for gifts and have one in reserve as a backup.

and the price is right...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,923
    Thank you so much!  I'll give the m/p a go!!~~
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 30,510
    i dont have a press, small quantities with a knife, large i use a mortar and pestle. i peel large quantities in a 2 sided cataplana pan, peel 50 in 15 seconds
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 13,299
    i dont have a press, small quantities with a knife, large i use a mortar and pestle. i peel large quantities in a 2 sided cataplana pan, peel 50 in 15 seconds
    How does that work in a pan, you just steam then quickly?
  • SmokingPineySmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited March 2016
    I quit using a press. I use a microplane now with much more consistent results.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • 1move1move Posts: 516
    Legume said:

You just throw them in unpeeled in a pan with a lid and shake it, they peel within 10-20 seconds
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
    I don't use a garlic press as it really changes the taste of garlic so I just mince mine no matter the quantity 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
    Legume said:

fukahwee maine

1move said:
    I don't use a garlic press as it really changes the taste of garlic so I just mince mine no matter the quantity 
    i think its how your going to use it, i like minced with knife better if sauteing it, if im smearing it over a roast or making some type of dipping sauce im ok with smashing it in a mortar
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 14,831
    a 2 sided cataplana pan, peel 50 in 15 seconds
    A what?? Is there ANY obscure piece of cooking equipment you don't own? :rofl:  

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

edited March 2016
    im a greasy pourtagee =) how else would i cook a fish. pretty sure they are more handy than a castiron skillet cooking seafood over a small fire at the beach

fukahwee maine

• Food processor for the large bunches but I love this for a few cloves:
    http://www.amazon.com/Rosle-12782-Rösle-Garlic-Press/dp/B000063Y8F

Best - Jack
    Legume said:

This is guy uses massive bowls! Holly molly!!! I just use a small pot with a lid.

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 13,299
    You win @fishlessman that looks fantastic.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 17,380

Ikea's previous version of that press was even better (it didn't have the insert doohickey). Went through 2 of them in 10 years or so. Better than any others we bought before.

I now use a mini grater - not so fine as a microplane, but much finer than a regular grater. Works great and super easy to clean. I find microplanes are a pain to clean after using.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 40,747
    I like the newer version with the SS insert.  We broke at least three of the old style (granted, maybe we should have been peeling the garlic first).
    while backpacking through Europe in the late 80ies and spending a few nights on the Portuguese Algarve coast, I got the advice from a land lady we rented a room from that "cataplana, no good for night". I assumed she was concerned that we'd be served seafood that had been poorly refrigerated.
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 8,991
    buzd504 said:
    Microplaned garlic is definitely a tongue burner when raw. I only Microplane garlic when it is going into my tzatziki or hummus. Given the way the Microplane really ruptures the hell out of the clove I use fewer cloves and the garlic just kinda disappears into the tzatziki/hummus. I've never been able to mince garlic fine enough with a knife to disappear that way. I could make a paste but it is easier and quicker to just Microplane a few cloves for tzatziki/hummus.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Camped out in the (757/948/804)

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2016
    im a greasy pourtagee =) how else would i cook a fish. pretty sure they are more handy than a castiron skillet cooking seafood over a small fire at the beach

Not sure what's in that, but if I get to choose my last meal, it may well be something like it!! Holy moly!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Knife
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I need another gadget like I need a hole in my head.  Knife skills.  Nothing else needed IMHO....I can see it if you're in the service industry (maybe....& even then not really). 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokingPineySmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    HeavyG said:
    buzd504 said:
    Microplaned garlic is definitely a tongue burner when raw. I only Microplane garlic when it is going into my tzatziki or hummus. Given the way the Microplane really ruptures the hell out of the clove I use fewer cloves and the garlic just kinda disappears into the tzatziki/hummus. I've never been able to mince garlic fine enough with a knife to disappear that way. I could make a paste but it is easier and quicker to just Microplane a few cloves for tzatziki/hummus.
    I agree that a little microplaned garlic goes a long way. It's quick and easy....and consistent. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • FockerFocker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2016
    A knife and salt as posted for raw garlic.  Garlic press and microplane stay in the drawer.

I keep roasted garlic paste on hand, love the flavor of roasted garlic.  Chop the top of the head, a little bit of EVOO, kosher and white pepper, wrap in foil, 375 for an hour or so.  Let cool, and squeeze the roasted garlic out of the top into a small container.  Discard the remains. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."