Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Day Not Starting Good For Stepfather's 85th Birthday Cook

Options
Ladeback69
Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
wwwWhile I was cleaning out my XL to cook for my Stepfather's birthday party tomorrow my fire box broke.  Luckily I have my WSM available.  I just loaded it with ribs and have sent photos to my dealer to see if they can replace my fire box so I can get some pork butts on. WSM is full.  Running with water in the pan.  Haven't used it since I got the egg 2 years ago..
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    You can cook with that for a very long time before you ever need to replace it. Nothing stopping you. Fire it up and go. Many people on here go ahead and get the replacement but don't actually install it until the old one just falls apart. Put those butts on and have a happy 85th celebration.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree if it is just your fire box then cook away.  I might not go really high temps for a while but for some butts you will be fine. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If it'll hold lump, it'll cook. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    mines been like this for several years and still works fine =)

DSC_0174jpg

DSC_0175jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    mine was in 4 pieces for 3 years before I replaced it. I had the warranty replacement in my garage the whole time. When it went to 5 pcs I had enough so I swapped it out. You are golden to cook on that for years 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ladeback69
    Options

DSC_0174jpg

DSC_0175jpg

That looks like a jigsaw puzzle.  I am using mine sdo we will see how it goes.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    I've had the replacement fire bowls for my Large and Small in the garage, unopened, for 12 and 10 years. The original fire bowls are in three or four pieces and easy to remove to clean out beneath them, and in fact one is held intact by grease and comes out in one piece. I don't expect to EVER use the replacements.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

DSC_0174jpg

DSC_0175jpg

@fishlessman I would have to be 2 days sober to put that pile back together!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Okay you hoarders ... an honest question ... why are you continuing to cook with broken pieces in the egg when you have the new piece in storage taking up space?  You must have a logical reason why you're not using the new pieces ... yes/no? 

If the new ones break, BGE will warranty them ... so, you're not avoiding any cost.  Why then?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Continue to find evidence that my theory is correct. Cleaning the egg leads to bad things. 
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Continue to find evidence that my theory is correct. Cleaning the egg leads to bad things. 
    I am starting to think that way myself.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Here are the finished product on the ribs.  Can't wait to East them, but not till tomorrow.  Pork butts are on the egg for 3 hours or so now.  Thinking of making pork burnt ends out of one cut in half.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Ok, these2 pork butts I have been cooking are taking for ever.  I started them at noon at 225  temp and after 8:20 hours and it stuck at 169 so I double wrapped them in four and cranked the egg to 374.  It gone up 2 degrees in the last hour or so.  It may be a long night.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Brother @Ladeback69, why did you run them 225?  I'm sure you know 275-350 gets same result in less time.  However, great food at stepdads bday matters most.  They'll finish reasonably quickly at 374.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Brother @Ladeback69, why did you run them 225?  I'm sure you know 275-350 gets same result in less time.  However, great food at stepdads bday matters most.  They'll finish reasonably quickly at 374.
    I was having troubles getting it up higher for while, but they are done now rest and I will be pulling them soon.  Temp got to 400 and we're done at 11.  It sure tastes good.  More photos to come.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Great job @Ladeback69, they look really good. Happy birthday to your stepfather.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC