Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First BGE.L Brisket Tomorrow

Options
As with all things new, first tests are modestly controlled.  The last first time was grilled/smoked salmon fillet.  That one turned out swell and became a salmon spread for the Super(yawn)Bowl. Tomorrow is the Daytona 500!  

This a a point only brisket.  Thinly coated with mustard, rubbed and resting in the fridge. 6+ pounds.  I'll be getting up at early dark thirty to light up the Egg and start the long low and slow smoke.  Hardwood charcoal with a few chunks of mesquite.

Stay Tuned 
SalemsLot, Maine
BGE.L since December 2015
Cabela's model 2007-November 2015

Comments

• Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Good luck!
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Should be good, the point is forgiving more than the flat.  What temp are you shooting for?  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RMSmithJr
    Options
    195 for the temp.  Then a one hour rest 
    SalemsLot, Maine
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    RMSmithJr said:
    195 for the temp.  Then a one hour rest 
    You can easily bump that temperature up into the 200's anywhere from 200 to 250 is good for brisket.

I just did an 8.5 lbs today and my brisket "stall" was stalling for much longer than usual. The stall ended up being a long 6 hour endeavour with the total cook at 14h.... And it still was not where I wanted it to be. 

Good luck and enjoy the cook
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • RMSmithJr
    Options
    Stalled at 150, Egg dome @ 270.

Tappity Tap Tap Tap.

SalemsLot, Maine
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    What's the best idiots guide to cooking brisket? I'm a new egg owner and want to try it soon
  • RMSmithJr
    Options
    This is not my first brisket, only the first one on the BGE.L After 8 hours with the dome temp at 250/275, the brisket is at 175.  It stalled at 150 for nearly two hours.  It was difficult to not want to open the vents to crank up the temperature. 

My cheap Taylor thermometer surrendered, so now am checking the temp once an hour with a traditional meat thermometer. 

Guide to cooking?  Master the basics before relying on technology.  Practice the patience of temperature control, but don't stress over impractical precision. 

Got the brisket from my favorite market. It was built by grandfather, back in the 30s. The meat counter was always front & center and remains there today. Quality comes with a cost, so maybe some day, I'll be doing SAMs Club/et al.  For my first BGE brisket, went with the point only. 

Thin coating of cheap mustard to hold the Stubbs beef rub, along with a light dusting of chipotle. Let is sit in the fridge overnight. Researched fat cap up or down. 

Up at 0500. Brisket moved from the fridge to the counter. Fire started before dawn. Spent about 45 minutes warning up the Egg from 36 degrees to a stable 275.   BGE charcoal with some mesquite chunks from Cabelas. 

0615: Meat on the heat. Fat cap down.

0915: BIT (Brisket Internal Temperature) @ 145.

1115: Stall at 150, premature?

1300: Digital thermometer failure, analog back-up.

1330:  Stall apparently over.  Wrapped in foil, fat cap now up.

1450: BIT @ 176

Next temperature check @ 1600.

Stay tuned. 
    SalemsLot, Maine
  • geronimo
    geronimo Posts: 41
    Options
    How did it turn out???