Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BIG Thank you to Smokeware.

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited February 2016 in EggHead Forum
A few might know that I had issues with Smokeware Thermometers. The first was bought at a dealer and it was a lemon. It happens. Instead of calling dealer, I reached out to Matt as SW directly. He sent me a black face replacement. Well, it works, but sporadically gets stuck and then jumps in large increments making it difficult to dial into a temp. I mentioned this on the forum-- not to bash SW by any means-- more to share info about the new style thermometers without calibration required. I then received a note from @Ozzie_Isaac and @Jeepster47 saying they were speaking to matt at SW about my situation. Out of no where I received contact from Matt apologizing for the issues and sending me (2) more replacements! Awesome! It didn't stop there. Matt also sent me a grid lifter and a grill light thanking me for the business, apologizing profusely and allowing me to review other SW products. Customer service is hard to replace. Being in the service industry myself I can tell you it wins clients. This scenario has won me over and I cannot say enough about SW and Matt. Great all the way around. 
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Fantastic Customer service.. I will definitely be supporting them in the future. Glad it all worked out @Chubbs
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    I got the grid lifter for xmas.  I love it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Definitely the way to convert a negative to a big plus.  I would venture that your forum post elevated the height of concern as you now have a "following" although I loosely use that term.  Regardless, great response by SW.
    BTW- are their thermos now able to be calibrated or not-I seem to have forgotten where that landed a couple of weeks ago.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Sounds like the customer service award goes to the father and son duo for making things happen 
  • lousubcap said:
    Definitely the way to convert a negative to a big plus.  I would venture that your forum post elevated the height of concern as you now have a "following" although I loosely use that term.  Regardless, great response by SW.
    BTW- are their thermos now able to be calibrated or not-I seem to have forgotten where that landed a couple of weeks ago.
    The white face is adjustable... The black face is not. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Very few companies realize how important it is to have good customer support.
    One unhappy customer can severely damage a companies image.
    I'm glad to see Smokeware step up and do the right thing.
    I never thought I really needed anything Smokeware makes......I may change my mind and order something. I don't mind supporting companies who do the right thing for their customers.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Replacement Nomex gasket is on the way and a new cap is coming when in stock. It's nice to support a business that wants to help its customers. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lousubcap
    @JohnnyTarheel - thanks for that.  I am "old-school" and haven't fully bought into the "trust me, it's all good."  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Sounds like the customer service award goes to the father and son duo for making things happen 
    @DoubleEgger ... thanks for the tip of the hat, but Matt is the one who made it happen.

I know that Matt doesn't spend time on the forum.  So, ALL I did was send Matt a link to Chubbs thread, where he mentioning having a problem, and added a single sentence: "You might be interested in looking into this."  @Ozzie_Isaac and I did have to scramble to find contact info for Chubbs after Matt asked for it ... suspect that Chubbs is in the witness protection program.

Matt truly wants to do the right thing for us ... you see how he approached solving Chubbs' problem.

@JohnnyTarheel ... The red/white/blue w/ a touch of gray is adjustable.  The black face and white face thermos are progressing towards non-adjustable.  A few weeks ago, Matt shared that, if you ask when ordering, he will supply an adjustable black or white faced thermo ... at least until stock on hand runs out.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• lousubcap
    @Jeepster47 - Perhaps you have the insight-why are they moving toward the non-adjustable only option?  Even the elcheapo analog ones you can get at the grocery store have the adjustable nut on the back.
    Are we ( the consumer) getting ever more lazy and marketing says "no time for this calibration check/adjustment business". Thus we eliminate it?
    Wondering if you have any inside insights?  
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I would bet that people are twisting them while using the clip and throwing the temp off. A non adjustable gauge probably reduces returns. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    edited February 2016
    @lousubcap not sure on what is motivating the change.

One detail is calibrate vs. Re-zero.  When you are adjusting the thermo all you are doing is rezeroing one point.  It isn't a true calibration.

If everything is assembled correctly and designed properly then one should never have to re-zero their gauge.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    edited February 2016
    @Ozzie_IsaacTrue that but there is comfort in knowing that it is good at some point in the range.  Perhaps a false sense of security but better to know something than "trust me" IMO.
  • Jeepster47
    @lousubcap ... I suspect you're correct that there's a shade of consumer laziness in the non-adjustable solution.  I don't think the average, suburban BBQ cook thinks about calibrating his gauge ... ever.  

The non-adjustable feature bothered me also.  And, the nut on on the backside of the Smokeware gauge, that doesn't do anything, has taunted me.  I don't like to give up control. It took me about a month to accept that change.

My dealer has complained about the dome gauges always going out of calibration.  So one day I watched his guys assemble an egg.  They stuck the gauge in the egg, installed the useless clip on the stem, pushed the clip tight against the ceramic, and then spun the dial to center it.  The gauge was instantly out of calibration.  I think the same screw-up happens when the "average" owner uses the egg ... or the kids spin the gauge ... or the OCD guest straightens it out ... or you bump it reaching for your drink.  I've check the calibration on my older gauges periodically but, since I removed the "useless clip", they haven't needed adjustment.

I think the non-adjustable gauge will be an improvement for the majority of egg users.  Without the adjustment possibility, there will be more gauges that read correctly ... even if the useless clip is installed.

Matt has said that the quality of the gauge has been improved.  And, so far, in my experience, that seems to be the case.  If you remember, my son took his medium egg nuclear with one of the non-adjustable gauges installed in it.  He pulled the cap off with the bottom vent wide open and walked into the house.  Came out "just a minute later" and stood there watching the needle climb up to 250 degrees, before his alcohol soaked brain registered that the needle was on it's second trip around the dial.

• lousubcap
    edited February 2016
    @Jeepster47 - Thanks for the above.  I do recall your recounting of the low and slow at around 1K*F  :)   If my tel-trus give up the ghost I will likely move at least one to the SW thermo.  However, given their performance to date, it may not happen any time soon.  Have a great weekend.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I have purchased three SW items, two caps and a silicone adapter to allow a cap to work on my Kamado Joe, Jr.
    All outstanding products, and SW is one class act!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Great company. We deal with a lot of vendors in this business and there are a handful of real gems. These guys are one of them. Kudos. 
  • Chubbs

From Matt: We went with a pre-calibrated unit due to the # of customers who either preferred not to calibrate or who were unsure if the unit needed calibrating.  In other words, we wanted superior accuracy and calibration from the factory.  We also wanted durability and for that we decided to upgrade the equipment in the gauges and also revisit our artwork for scale, readability and a few other small details like size of the needle

• Chubbs
    Appreciative of those two as well. Told them so personally.  =)
  • jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    So far I've had nothing but good experiences with their products and quick service. I've bought a gasket, chimney cap and grid lifter, The light has my interest. Please let us know what you think of it.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    Chubbs said:
    Appreciative of those two as well. Told them so personally.  =)
    Wasn't us brother.  All we did was put the right people in touch.  I am very happy it all worked out.

I love SW products, and their service makes them an easy recommendation!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Man, I love stories of customer service done right
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Great company!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• Jeepster47
    BTW ... just noticed that Smokeware now lists both the adjustable and non-adjustable black-faced gauges side-by-side on their website.
    http://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories

• Chubbs
    edited April 2016
    Matt continues to send me goodies as a "sorry" for defective thermometer. Came home from a funeral today. Nice to pull up in driveway from a 7 hour drive and find this in my carport!! Not only did he send the new smokeware cap but he had it etched with Gamecocks logo!! Thanks again and Kudos to Smokeware for unreal customer service! Great company and an even better guy. 

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    I gave up on their thermometers.  Last one I purchased required frequent calibration. Even though the locknut was tight the needle moved freely if the thermometer was spun in the dome. I currently have 1 trustable thermometer between 4 Eggs...beyond frustrating. 
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    That's awesome!  I've been meaning to get around to order a smokeware cap.  Just waiting for a sale.
    War Damn Eagle!
  • Chubbs
    dougcrann said:
    I gave up on their thermometers.  Last one I purchased required frequent calibration. Even though the locknut was tight the needle moved freely if the thermometer was spun in the dome. I currently have 1 trustable thermometer between 4 Eggs...beyond frustrating. 
    They have different ones-- some that can be calibrated and some that don't. Maybe you had one that came pre calibrated and turning the nut was actually harming it? Not sure. I would just reach out to Matt at Smokeware and send him your damaged thermometer. 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Chubbs said:
    dougcrann said:
    They have different ones-- some that can be calibrated and some that don't. Maybe you had one that came pre calibrated and turning the nut was actually harming it? Not sure. I would just reach out to Matt at Smokeware and send him your damaged thermometer. 
    It was one that required calibration. I had a pile of untrustable thermometers on my table...cleaned up a few weeks ago and tossed them all. Not the first bad thermometer I got from them. Don't remember exactly what was wrong with the previous, think that was the one that the needle was very sticky. And topped out at 350*. You could have a pizza sized fire and it only read 350*. Perhaps they was actually 3. I really don't remember any more. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @dougcrannn -  how is it that  you have 4 eggs but only 1 working thermo? Did the original  tel-tru thermos all fail? Or do you have older eggs from the non-teltru era? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.