Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Tomatillo Salsa

Options
I'm lucky enough to have some time off from work and I'm double lucky that today its in the low 60s without a cloud in the sky.  Time to egg something.  I'm starting with a tomatillo salsa this morning so that it can cool down to pair with some homemade guacamole and egged fajitas later tonight.  Here's the salsa:

6 tomatillos with papers removed and washed
3-5 jalapenos depending on your heat level (I ended up using 3)
1/2 an onion
juice of 1 lime
a hand-full of cilantro
salt to taste

1:  Char the onion, tomatillos and jalapenos on the BGE over a hot fire.
2:  Remove the veggies to a container and cover for a few minutes to soften the skin of the jalapenos.
3:  Scrape the charred skin off the peppers, but don't touch the tomatillos or onion. The char gives the salsa a real depth of flavor.  Optionally devein the peppers and remove seeds to take some of the heat out. I kept them in.
4:  Throw the veggies into a food processor along with the lime juice, cilantro and salt.
5:  Pulse until smooth and refrigerate.

Here are charred veggies:

Here's the final product:

Enjoy!

--Brad
Franklin, TN
Large BGE+PSWoo2

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Yep my go to for verde enchiladas. I think I am making them tmw for the wife and her friends. 
    Seattle, WA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Bookmarked. Thanks!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    That looks wonderful!! I've never made my own salsa, and all the jar stuff sucks. I need to do this!!  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Gonna be some good eats tonight!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Looks great! I want some of that. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Salsa verde is one of my favorite condiments by far.   Nice one.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Nicely done. I love to make salsa with roasted ingredients. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options

My favorite salsa! Very nice!

Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    That looks really good.  I also add some green chilies to mine and maybe a bit of habanero, again depending how much heat you want. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,509
    Options
    Thank you!  I love tomatillo salsa but have never tried making it; bookmarked!

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Oh yes!!  That looks great!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Dfoshee
    Dfoshee Posts: 191
    Options
    That looks great
    Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.
  • Arkysmokin
    Options
    What temp are you running at to charge those? I haven't attempted that before and I don't want to fry them.

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

• Arkysmokin
    Options
    Sorry Char not charge. Damn spell check.

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,177
    Options
    Made it this weekend!  It was killer. Thanks for sharing!

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • wbradking
    Options
    Hey @Arkysmokin I run probably around 500*.  Let them go longer than you think. You can see from my pictures that everything was pretty well blistered up before I pulled things off.  I do find that the onions stand up to the heat better than the rest of the veggies so I add them on a few minutes ahead of everything else.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • wbradking
    Options
    Awesome @Ozzie_Isaac .  Watch out...it will spoil you from jarred salsa.  I don't know if you tried it when it came out of the food processor/blender but I kind of like it warm.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    Options
    Looks great.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,177
    Options
    wbradking said:
    Awesome @Ozzie_Isaac .  Watch out...it will spoil you from jarred salsa.  I don't know if you tried it when it came out of the food processor/blender but I kind of like it warm.
    It was great warm!  I am looking forward to it after it sits for a few days too.  I have found many salsas to improve with a few days age.

My wife already asked me to make a bunch to freeze :)
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin