Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hopped on the Sous Vide band wagon

Options
Bart1434
Bart1434 Posts: 160
So since I was away for Valentines weekend I planned on making some Filets when I returned, but the weather outside was not cooperating and I needed an excuse to use my sous vide anyways.  So 128 degrees for 2 hours then seared in the lodge cast iron... Came out delish, next time will preheat the cast iron longer at a higher temp to get a better crust.... Can't wait to try some chicken breast for the week of lunches.  

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course

Comments

• Bart1434
    Options

Southwestern, CT

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Leaning your way. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    Options
    Not sure if you did, but pat the steaks dry before you sear.

I also like a little oil in the pan and get it just starting to smoke.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Bart1434
    Options

@mickey they came out great, perfect solution for wanting a great steak when the weather or errands get in your way.  I had to run a few errands yesterday and the weather wasn't great so I popped them in the hot tub for 2 hours and seared then when I returned home.

@ozzie_Isaac thanks for the advice, I patted them dry but I only rubbed them lightly with oil..next time I will oil the pan for sure.  Also I bought a pre-seasoned cast iron but I think it still needs some time to become fully seasoned/non-stick

Southwestern, CT