Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow smoked short ribs pics

Options
TheToast
TheToast Posts: 376
Hi all. So I think I'm about 7 cooks into my BGE ownership now and today decided to cook short ribs for a second time, after the first batch took forever to finish.

2.5kg of Angus beef ribs. 

Rubbed with Pitt Cue's house rub (made from their recipe - it's good, sweet, salty, with a light fennel taste). 

Stuck it in, then planned to be out visiting family for a few hours. Was prepared to just leave it stabilised but then had an idea to use that Periscope live streaming app to keep an eye on the temp remotely. So I set my iPad up, pointed it at my maverick receiver and used a clock to ensure the stream I checked wasn't frozen. Hey presto - I could check the temp at any time from my iPhone. A few other people discovered the stream and had no idea what the hell it was about, but hey ho. 

I didnt actually need to bother - after 4hrs, the grill temp had only fluctuated up to 110c which is what I was aiming for anyway. 

Many hours later

These were great but I still strive for better. They were soft and moist, and oozed juice when squeezed softly, but I think I can better them. 

I foiled them after 77c - never tried that before and was surprised how rapidly the temp rises after that. One question though: after they hit 90c I checked for tenderness and they seemed soft and floppy when I took them out of the foil. Having read recommendations to put them back on smoke for 30mins, out of the foil, I did just that and was surprised that despite the grill temp being the same, the internal meat temp steadily dropped from 91c to 78c without any sign of rising again - is this normal? When I checked the ribs, it felt like they'd toughened up in that time too. I just took em off, foiled and rested for 45mins and that seemed to soften them up again. 

Next I'm thinking of taking the plunge and doing brisket. Bit scared. 

Comments