Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Devastated 2...the win

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
As most of you have figured out by now the original thread requesting money was a troll thread. Yes, my cooler was stolen. The money is real and is going to St Jude's Children's Hospital. 
To those who donated (most knew), thank you. To those that got upset with me, it was all in fun.
A few of us are discussing a possible drive. A few years ago we raised $4k for Operation BBQ Relief. 
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'm in for a drive. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Knowledge is POWER. Would've probably given to the cause either way Tony but, after our short text I liked the idea more. St Jude and The local Nemours Children Hospital and Wounded Warrior Project are all good causes. Please don't throw mud at these guys (politically). We do what we can to help. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    @henapple I have no choice but to break up with you since I wasn't in the know. So long pal  :s
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    Options
    @Chubbs... Pm me you're number. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I honestly think we should do OBR again.  

Edit.  *I'll just leave it at that.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapple
    Options
    I've reached out to them and can't get any responses. I'll try again. St Jude issues? 
  • henapple
    Options
    @cazzy.. Pulled an old email  up. They informed me that they no longer use the company that took donations. I'm not sure if it matters that we keep up with a total but it would be nice. Last time we had... 

Private and direct donations
    No money ever touched a member 
    We had a running tally... A goal
    A raffle... Donated items from companies and individuals 

Just a few thoughts. 

• henapple
    Options
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Did I  just donate beer money to St. Jude's? Is @henapple donating a yeti full of PBR to St. Jude's? I'm so confused...

+1 for OBR. That's nonpolitical enough for me to get behind. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    Options
    I try them again 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i didn't believe the first story.

and barely believe this one.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• henapple
    Options
    Barely believe what? @Darby_Crenshaw
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    On the GoFundMe site it say this about what can be funded:

What can I raise money for?

Most people use GoFundMe to raise money for themselves, a friend or loved one during life's important moments. This includes things like medical expenseseducation costsvolunteer programs,youth sportsfunerals & memorials - even animals & pets

That said, we're always amazed at all the unique ways people use GoFundMe to raise money online. The possibilities are endless! 

Apparently they weren't kidding about the unique ways (bait & switch) people use their site to raise money (for whatever purpose).

The sad thing is though that since GoFundMe makes their money by taking a 5% cut of every donation the intended charity is getting 5% less than they may have had the money been collected via other means.

But hey, as long as some folks got a kick out of it I guess that's cool.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don't know if a redneck like Tony is capable of complex nefarious plans like that.

I gave because I've snagged a lot of beers from said stolen cooler. And if he doesn't have a cooler at Salado this year, I'll have to actually bring my own for once. Sounds like too much work.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Options
    i wasn't saying it was nefarious.  i was saying it was poorly planned and executed, and unclear.  as well as not truthful.

other than that, it was fine.

(and the smartest person i know is a 'redneck')

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I think you could have raised more money outright 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    ...and the smartest person i know is a 'redneck')

Thanks man. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Chubbs said:

Thanks man. 
    I thought he was talking about me. :i_dunno: 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Chubbs said:

Thanks man. 
    I thought he was talking about me. :i_dunno: 

Banjo Music playing...I'm not a smart man but, that's no secret. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL