Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best size for second Egg?

Options
I currently own a LGE BGE, for second egg I was considering getting another LGE since I have all the eggcessories. What have some of you done as an upgrade? We have a big family so I was also considering going XL... thoughts?

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    XL for sure given "big family" comment.  You'll not regret it!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I am hoping to get a XL soon.  I have 6 kids 10 years old and under.  I hear they will eat more as they get older.  I currently have a Large.  I would like to get 2 MiniMax's for camping as well.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Get the XL - the extra direct grilling space alone makes it worth it.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • marran8
    Options
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I am hoping to get a XL soon.  I have 6 kids 10 years old and under.  I hear they will eat more as they get older.  I currently have a Large.  I would like to get 2 MiniMax's for camping as well.
    you need to buy an XXL!  Congrats, that's fantastic.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Legume said:
    kl8ton said:
    you need to buy an XXL!  Congrats, that's fantastic.
    Don't say that.  I am getting the itch to drive to Clinton IA to pick up badinfluence's.  It would be 10 hours on the road though!  I would need him to come down a little on price too just to make the fuel and trailer hauling worth it.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I have an XL and a mini max if I were to get a third it would probably either be the XL or the XXL
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    I have a small, medium and large. I would love to have an XL......
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Whatever size you can afford
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
  • jonnymack
    Options
    XL and a mini....why not? Seriously though I'd give some thought to XL if you find the need for that much space. Get the mini when you are empty nesters.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    First one should determine the reason why you need a second egg. For you, it seems to be to cook more grub. The question then becomes how much more?  You already know how much you can get on a large.  Go from there. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    First one should determine the reason why you need a second egg. For you, it seems to be to cook more grub. The question then becomes how much more?  You already know how much you can get on a large.  Go from there. 
    Lies, lies, more damn lies.  No need to determine "why you need one".  Just get one and enjoy.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    I'm thinking of adding an XL to my current large. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    A three-way light bulb only has two elements ... one smaller than the other.  Thus, you get a dim light, a medium light, and with both turned on, a bright light. 

Pick your eggs accordingly ... use two eggs to cover the maximum amount that you would normally cook.  Size the other two to achieve maximum flexibility for small and medium cooks. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• cajunrph
    Options
    A three-way light bulb only has two elements ... one smaller than the other.  Thus, you get a dim light, a medium light, and with both turned on, a bright light. 

Pick your eggs accordingly ... use two eggs to cover the maximum amount that you would normally cook.  Size the other two to achieve maximum flexibility for small and medium cooks. 
    Uhhhh, yeah. You're fresh off of your lump weight experiment aren't you?  ;)

But in all seriousness, what you are saying is to get a medium or smaller egg to go with a large? Let's say you are doing some chicken wings, spatchcock, sausage, ribs, Boston Butt Roast and Boudin stuffed ABT's. You can probably fit that on a large and a medium. You'll have a much easier time cooking all that on a Large and an XL. Eggs are expensive to begin with. The Small is $599, the Medium is $659. As the price gets higher it's easier to justify the jump to the next bigger one. I wish I had purchased an XL the first time. In an empirical since, what you say is correct. But the value of having more grilling real estate for me out weighs being practical. Heck, the very existence of the XXL proves that. You never know when you'll be called on to cook for a crowd. And as we all produce some bang up food on our eggs, the second crowd we cook for will undoubtedly be bigger than the first one due to word of mouth. I say get the biggest you can afford. You'll be happy in the end. No one ever complains of the grill being too big. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @cajunrph ... it was fun to watch you defended my side of the argument.  In your situation, a large and XL might be the perfect 3-way choice.  The second egg doesn't have to be smaller.

In my case I started with a large ... then looked at a small.  Hmmm ... but a medium is only $100 more in this area ... so decided to look at a medium.  But, my dealer shot me a price on a stripped down large that was the same price as a decked out medium.  So, with the stripped down large I was able to buy accessories that are both transferable and compliment each other.  One has a PSWoo2 based set up and the other has an AR based set up.

Still have my 3-way light bulb approach ... although it's a little distorted.

Besides, hurry up on the decision so you can start worrying about what size egg to buy for your third one!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• cajunrph
    Options
    It will have to wait a few months now. I'm about to move and the less I have to pack the better. I'm going to go to my dealer and see what he has. Can't hurt. I might get a jeepster deal. Haha. 

LBC, Texas 

• jimithing
    Options
    I sure like my XL.  It's really versatile.  If I was to get another to pair with it I'd  probably do a medium or mini max.  Since you already have the large and have thoughts of cooking for a big family I think the XL is the way to go.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Deck2015
    Options

I have a large but recently picked up a small for fun.  The dealer basically sold it to me at cost to get rid of it.  He said he had never sold a small and wanted to move it.  My large is big enough for my purposes, but I thought the small would be fun for certain items.  I'll let you know how it goes.

deck