Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gap size between egg and table ?

Options
I am contemplating building a table for my medium egg.  I have read lots on this forum, as well as other places, about plans, problems, materials, etc.

I know how important for fire safety having good air gaps around and under the egg are when putting it in a table. 

One question I have not seen answered is how much of a gap between the table and the egg is needed for reasonable fire safety? 

Too turn this question into a middle school algebra question:

I decide I want to have my egg sticking up a few inches above the table top. 
I then then measure and determine that X  is the diameter of the egg at the level that it will emerge from the table top.

What should the diameter of the hole in the table top be? 
X+2"  (a one inch gap all the way around) ??   X + 1"?      X + .2"
Any ideas or suggestions?
Stay Calm and Egg On
1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD

Comments

• Fuzzbutt
    Options
    I used the dimensions from the BGE table plans and bought one of the BGE table stands to go under my large. It seems to work well. 

Here are the dimensions for the medium
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/BGE-TP-MEDIUM.pdf

Note: I didn't make my table exactly the same, but I did make the shelf height and the hole diameter per specs.
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    edited February 2016
    Options
    thanks.  I had stumbled on the "official" BGE plans for the large, but didn't know they had a plan online for other size eggs as well. 

I only ever found the plans on the BGE site via google...I can't seem to find how to burrow my way to the plans from the home page.  Do they have any other plans or other cool stuff in a similar "hidden" folder?
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • jimithing
    Options
    I want to say mine is about 1/2" gap all the way around.  Never had a problem.  The wood isn't even darkened like it's gotten too warm.  Guess I've only had the table about a year but I've had the egg over 700 degrees multiple times since then.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Fuzzbutt
    Options
    Abter said:
    thanks.  I had stumbled on the "official" BGE plans for the large, but didn't know they had a plan online for other size eggs as well. 

I only ever found the plans on the BGE site via google...I can't seem to find how to burrow my way to the plans from the home page.  Do they have any other plans or other cool stuff in a similar "hidden" folder?
    Honestly,I have no idea. I just googled bge medium table plans.  =) 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I have about .750" of a gap...