Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Table / Concrete Top

Options
2»

Comments

• marran8
    Options
    timmyd18 said:
    Well done! How is the top connected - gravity of some sort of fasteners?
    No fasteners. If anything I would have just done a bead of silcone. much like you would if you did a countertop in your kitchen. But its heavy enough it doesnt really shift.
  • russellds
    Options
    Very nice! Love the concrete top!
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    marran8 said:
    He meant FORM board not FOAM. The layer that created your base. 
    oh apologies misread that, no the board was for mold only. after curing I flipped countertop over so bottom surface in mold is top and and pulled out bottom board.

What was the material that was on top of table that you poured the concrete on? I have heard of people using a very smooth piece of plastic or other material so the surface comes out smooth. Any plans on staining?
  • marran8
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    marran8 said:
    He meant FORM board not FOAM. The layer that created your base. 
    oh apologies misread that, no the board was for mold only. after curing I flipped countertop over so bottom surface in mold is top and and pulled out bottom board.

What was the material that was on top of table that you poured the concrete on? I have heard of people using a very smooth piece of plastic or other material so the surface comes out smooth. Any plans on staining?
    Yes it was a 3/4" melamine sheet for the bottom and sides of mold. I did a bead of silicone along the edges and poured direct, with no mold release. worked like a charm. You will want to tap the side of the mold with a hammer or block to release the air bubbles. I actually used the side of my orbital sander to vibrate the mold to release the bubbles.

I used a linseed oil/ beeswax combo to stain. (pics at the top of the post)

• News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    Luv that over all slick, contemporary vibe. You captured it with what looks to be a simple, no fuss design. Well executed. My only question is are you sure those casters you picked can handle the load?
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • marran8
    Options
    News2u said:
    Luv that over all slick, contemporary vibe. You captured it with what looks to be a simple, no fuss design. Well executed. My only question is are you sure those casters you picked can handle the load?
    Thanks News2u! I wanted something low profile those are actually heavy duty with 700lb capacity so should be more than good... heres a link to the product if youre interested...
    http://www.accesscasters.com/3SLPUSSL-3-low-profile-urethane-swivel-plate-caster-wheel-sure-lok.aspx 
  • Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    Very nice, and well thought out!   I went with a top of cedar boards and as everyone knows, they really take a beating over time.   Weather is a real killer.   I'm not sure I have enough experience in concrete to pull this kind of top off, but it would be interesting to try. 

Well done.  Thanks for posting. 
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • marran8
    Options
    Braggart said:
    Very nice, and well thought out!   I went with a top of cedar boards and as everyone knows, they really take a beating over time.   Weather is a real killer.   I'm not sure I have enough experience in concrete to pull this kind of top off, but it would be interesting to try. 

Thanks. I think concrete is prob much easier than people think. I actually might be making another for a friend in spring if so perhaps i make a video on how to pour the concrete top?
  • Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    Never too old or proud to learn new things.  Heck, if you include all the steps, I may find mysef making one for my own table!
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    marran8 said:
    News2u said:
    Thanks News2u! I wanted something low profile those are actually heavy duty with 700lb capacity so should be more than good... heres a link to the product if youre interested...
    http://www.accesscasters.com/3SLPUSSL-3-low-profile-urethane-swivel-plate-caster-wheel-sure-lok.aspx 
    Wow! Checked the link. Those ARE some bad boys. Will keep them in mind. Thx.
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • marran8
    Options
    If anyone is interested in plans for this table let me know..
  • pinballLooking
    Options
    marran8 said:
    Braggart said:

Thanks. I think concrete is prob much easier than people think. I actually might be making another for a friend in spring if so perhaps i make a video on how to pour the concrete top?

That would be cool. I would like to watch it.
  • marran8
    marran8 Posts: 31
    Options
    marran8 said:
    Braggart said:

That would be cool. I would like to watch it.
    In the works & plans coming soon