Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

keeping whole chickens warm??

Options

I am cooking 2 chickens on my large green egg with the cyberQ.   They will be done 6 hours before supper... so not great timing.   I have lots of water in the pan.   Once they reach 170, can I reduce the heat to 150 and keep the chickens warm above 140 for 6 hours?  Or should I take them off once they are cooked, refrigerate and then heat them up in the overn before supper?   Refrigerating would make me cry, but if needed I don't want to dry them out or have them go bad.

thanks for your help

Comments

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I have done F_C in a cooler for 2 hours and it was plenty hot.  Not sure about 6 hours.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Take them off at 15-160 tops, at 170 you will have very dried out chicken. 

How did you miss the timing on this by 6 hours?  I would suggest you just cook them till 150, rest them and bag it up till tonight. Reheat for dinner.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jschaub
    Options
    I was hoping to put them on before work and then just keep them at temp on the egg until supper, I guess that is not an option?  I'm an egg and cyberq rookie.  So does it dry meat out if I keep it warm on the egg?
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    Can you keep your egg stable at 150-170F for that long?  

I agree with grim.  Cut the cook around 155-160F and reheat later.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    jschaub said:
    I was hoping to put them on before work and then just keep them at temp on the egg until supper, I guess that is not an option?  I'm an egg and cyberq rookie.  So does it dry meat out if I keep it warm on the egg?
    Yeah, I would think chicken would definitely dry out. And it'll continue to cook without a rest. I have tried many times to hold chicken in my Carlisle insulated carrier and even in there I find it goes dry on me after a few hours.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If you try to FTC the skin will likely be rubber. I'd bite the bullet and reheat in the oven. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Take those chickens off and refrigerate to make chicken salad.  Go get two more chickens, spatchcock them, and cook them fresh for dinner.  It will only take about 45-minutes to an hour. 

I don't think you will be able to maintain 150 on the egg with the cyberQ (or any kind of blower).  By the time the temp drops to 150, the fire will likely be completely out and won't relight when the blower kicks on.  I could be wrong about this but I would guess that 180-200 would be the lowest you could hold. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i have gone over to doing chix at maybe 250 for four.five/six hours (depends how big the bird.  crispy skin, never dry.

but you are toast on this one, if they are already done.

i would pull them myself, let them cool, carve (take the breasts off whole), and then reheat in the oven uncovered, maybe 275 until 135-140
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]