Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spreading the obsession - Family Cooking

Options
blasting
blasting Posts: 6,262
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
Spent all day yesterday cooking with my Dad.  He's at a winter rental down here in AZ, and I've brought over a UDS (ugly drum smoker) for the winter so I've got something to cook on when I visit (there is also a nice gasser already there).  He's always grilled a lot, but just the basic fair on a gasser.  I've got him buying cast iron.  He just bought his 5th piece.  

Anyway, yesterday we cooked all day, making Mac & Cheese, ABTs, cornbread, and smoked 4 pork butts (36 lbs).  Pork butts were brined for 24 hours, home made rub, and cooked low and slow at 230.  Turned out great, color was impressive, and very moist.

It was a good day cooking with Dad, and a lot of fun to see him really get into it.

He's a little reluctant to buy an egg @70, but I think it might happen.  Good times.

Phoenix 

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Lost my dad when I was in high school. Enjoy these times.....and the wisdom they share with you. Beautiful food there my friend.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Agree with Robin!  Cherish any time you get with your parents.  

Never got a chance really to do much with my Dad.  He passed away when I was only 10.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I almost lost my dad 2 months ago. Doing better now. Enjoy the moments and take plenty of pictures to help keep the memories fresh 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great cook with your dad brother!  Enjoy those times!  Looks delicious!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I got my green egg just a few months after my dad died. That's why I went with thatgrimguy when I joined. I often think about how much he would love my cooking now. He would go nuts. It's amazing how much a patriarch can hold a family together. Hug your Dad. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    You will cherish these times forever. My dad always liked to grill - burgers, chicken and steaks on both gas and charcoal. He passed away 12 years ago, long before I got an Egg. My wife and I have commented to each other that he would have loved cooking and eating food off the Egg. He would never have spent as much to buy one himself though!
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I got my green egg just a few months after my dad died. That's why I went with thatgrimguy when I joined. I often think about how much he would love my cooking now. He would go nuts. It's amazing how much a patriarch can hold a family together. Hug your Dad. 
    Interesting background on the name. So true.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow