Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first reverse sear steak

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,534
edited January 2016 in Beef
Well I've held off on doing a reverse sear as I've never understood what all the fuss was about.  But had time today and figured what the heck let's give it a try.  Got my XL set to 220 and had a fist sized piece of hickory in for smoke.  Got them up to 110 degrees and pulled them off to rest. Jacked the egg up to 700 and let them go about 1 min a side.  Turned out ok I guess will give it a go again in sometime.  No photos of the food with sides, family was hungry. 

One question ion I have as I did not get the edge to edge pink color so many of you do, did I leave it on to long?  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I find it's better when the grate is close to the fire. Though you had it at 700 so that should be good. I've been finishing mine on a 500 degree cast iron on the stove lately. Easier to get that up to 500 quickly. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• ryantt
    Options
    Thanks @Toxarch for the feed back, maybe next time I'll try doing the cast iron pan.  

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It looks great from here. One other suggestion is to keep the dome open while you sear. If the dome is closed then you basically have the steak in a 700 deg oven so even 1 min per side can cook the inside a bit. 

I agree a cast iron pan works great for the sear.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ryantt
    Options
    I see @SmokeyPitt that makes  A lot of sense  And explains the cooking of the edges. 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,597
    Options
    No need for any additional pics, the one you posted looks superb.. Congrats on a awesome looking steak..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options
    ryantt said:

One question ion I have as I did not get the edge to edge pink color so many of you do, did I leave it on to long?  

Thicker steak + rest period at the end (I let my steaks rest 5-10 minutes).  The finished temp also has something to do with it (higher finished will usually result in a more uniform color)

Options
    Make sure the steak surface is dry - it will crust up faster than if wet.  Apply intense heat. Top open - you are grilling at this point and only want heat to one side of the steak at a time.  Many recommend flipping the steak often - short intense heat to get crust development but not leaving on long enough to create a heat load that develops the gray banding. You want a fully burning lump and to get the steak close to the lump (or even directly on the lump) - radiant heat is your friend. Dome temp is pretty much meaningless, it only serves as a very general indicator that the lump is fully burning.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ryantt
    Options
    So it seems like the big mistake was closing the lid.  It acted like an oven. I guess I will try again next weekend.  Thanks @paqman and @jtcBoynton for the feed back.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Finishing in a CI pan with some butter is a game changer! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site