Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok this way. (Gonna have to use your imagination)

Options
Did my first wok cook on the egg today. I didn't take any pics (I know, I know. Didn't happen). In my defense, it was raining/snowing/sleeting on me the entire time, so I was trying to get in and out as quickly as possible. And the fam was ready to eat the moment I walked in with it.
Man, that was fun! I really enjoyed the activity of constantly moving/stirring/adding stuff, flames coming up around the wok, and of course the finished product.
I made simple fried rice with some leftover ham and sausage. Oh, and bacon. I have made it before in my CI pan on the stove, but the wok on the egg was a blast.
If any of you guys are on the fence about wokking on the egg, I say just do it! I ordered the 19" hammered carbon steel wok from CGS. It gives me plenty of real estate to cook anything. :)
Thanks to those of you who posted about using a wok on an egg. I promise pictures next time.
Jefferson, GA
XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
“Honey, we bought a farm.”

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sounds like you enjoyed the cook.  I enjoy the hell out of the wok on the egg. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Thanks @Mattman3969. I read a lot of your posts on wokking (if that's even a word) before I did this one. Thinking about getting that book that you and @caliking were talking about.
    Jefferson, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I say get it.  I am gettin ready to order another one of Grace Youngs books.  Breath of a Wok.  

analyze adapt overcome

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Stir frying is fun. I'm getting ready to do my first stir fry on my new mini max. I'm doing Kung Pao Chicken from Grace Young's Breath of Wok. I'll do a post later after I eat. Enjoy the journey!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Glad it worked! Are you open to two suggestions? First quickly call or email CGS to change your order. Order a "spider" to rest your round bottom wok in inside your egg! Secondly to prevent those flames lapping up and burning you I always bring my dome temperature up to what I want with my wok and spider in place and then before starting the cook just close my bottom vent. That will prevent the burning inferno affect and there is plenty of heat to wok any meal. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Ron gave good advice about the spider and shutting the bottom vent but don't be surprised if you still get flames even with the bottom vent completely closed. There is a ton of oxygen coming in from the dome being open.  

This is is with the bottom closed completely.  

analyze adapt overcome

• jeffwit
    Options
    Yup. Got the AR/Woo combo from CGS. Woo has the spider in it. And I shut the bottom vent when the egg stabilized at 450-500 degrees. Still had some flames, but I still have most of my arm hair. :)
    Jefferson, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Guess my 350º dome temperature that works for me when shutting my vent for woking is preventing the inferno flare ups you guys have experienced. Oh @jeffwitt - one other hint...if my temperature has gotten away from me I simply flip my spider over so the legs are down which means the wok itself is further from the fire! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Stir frying is fun. I'm getting ready to do my first stir fry on my new mini max. I'm doing Kung Pao Chicken from Grace Young's Breath of Wok. I'll do a post later after I eat. Enjoy the journey!
    Does this book provide the instructions to make the sauces or do you purchase pre-made?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lerwkew
    Options
    How many people are you cooking for generally with the 19 inch?  I have an XL egg and 4 people in the family and am trying to decide between 16 and 19 inch especially if I end up cooking just for me and my wife because the boys won't eat it.  Thanks for any advice
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Does this book provide the instructions to make the sauces or do you purchase pre-made?
    Not speaking for @SciAggie but her new book gives sauce recipes so I imagine Breath of the Wok does too.  

analyze adapt overcome

• jeffwit
    Options
    @lerwkew There are 5 of us. My family really likes my fried rice, so I make a lot of it at one time. This cook had 4 cups of uncooked rice to start. Once I cooked the rice and added veggies and meat, it was a substantial amount of food. The 19" wok held it easily. If I had to do it over again, though, I'd probably go with the 16". The 19" is HUGE. It's pretty cumbersome to work with, especially to wash. It was a bit of a challenge to find somewhere to store it.  I'm also worried that if I have to flip over my Woo/spider (to get away from the flames like @RRP suggested) that it will be too big to fit under the open lid and still have room to work.
    Jefferson, GA
  • SciAggie
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Her book includes instructions for the sauce that accompanies each recipe. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    FYI, Breath of a Wok is not what I really consider a straight up cook book. Yes, there are a number of recipes but there is also a lot of discussion about woks, culture, and "wok hay." I found it worth the price, but I get the impression that Young's other book is more of a standard cook book (I don't own To the Sky's Edge) .
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Sky's Edge has a bunch of recipes and some of the stories that @SciAggie mentioned about Breath

analyze adapt overcome

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Woking on the Egg is one of my favorite things to do as well.  

Tomorrow night, I'll be doing some Mongolian beef on the Egg.  I have a special dinner guest tomorrow.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Aerosmith or Young Frankenstein?
  • jeffwit
    Options
    Legume said:
    Aerosmith or Young Frankenstein?
    Aerosmith. Always Aerosmith.
    Jefferson, GA