Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit-master IQ110 Question

Options
Texag06ish
Texag06ish Posts: 135
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
Good afternoon everyone! 

I recently bought a pitmaster iq110 and I will be using it for the first time this weekend. 

I have read that you should light your fire a little differently when using a temp controller so I wanted to get some input. 

Here is what I do now with my XL BGE. I typically light the egg in three spots using a MAAP torch with the nothing on the top vent and the bottom vent fully open. From here I let it burn for about 10 min with the lid open. Then another ten with lid closed, bottom vent wide open and nothing on the top vent. Finally, I the close the bottom vent to about a 1/4 inch, put on the daisy wheel almost closed and insert my spider and pizza stone (I don't use the BGE deflector). This usually helps the temp drop down below 250 and I can control it from there.

What should I change for the pitmaster?

TIA.

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I'd suggest letting the pit controller take control 25* below your target temp.  So if you want to cook at 250, at 225 adjust to the recommended setting.  If this is your first use, maybe do this at 215 - 220 so there's not much overshoot if you discover the vents are open too much.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Texag06ish
    Options
    Where should run the probe?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Run the probe wire over the leg of the plate setter and clip it to the grid.  Make sure the probe is over the plate setter so it is not getting the direct heat coming from the sides.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.