Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Harbor Freight- OT

Options

One just opened next to my house. Seems they have a lot of low end power tools, but a lot of items that are handy for cheap. Including nitrile gloves, sandpaper, tarps, clamps, etc.

My question is--- are there any must-haves to look for and any "duds" to look out for?

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Relating to tools- Buy two when you go- they tend to be disposable. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    The weed burner ROCKS for lighting the Egg! I have some of there power tools that I don't use much but are handy to have for the occasional jobs that I need them for. One of them is a 4" and 5.5" belt/disc sander have had it for 5-6 years and still works great and it was on sale for $50.00. I buy the 1/2' corded hammer drills for my electrical contracting business, very cheep and if it gets lost/stolen we just get another.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I bought some casters there 8" solid rubber with brakes for like $20 each and they held up great. I would never buy a power tool there they carry brand like Chicago electric that are not really quality. I'm sure there are other deals to be had there as well as the casters.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Relating to tools- Buy two when you go- they tend to be disposable. 

Yeah I can tell the power tools are cheap. More asking about "everything else". In speaking to a few others in other locations it appears they each had their own opinion of must-have items that are far better than the price. For example, one guy said the 6 inch clamps are just as good as the $20 clamps from a big box store for 25% of price.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I have a few of their tools. I wouldn't try to make a living using them but they work fine for occasional use. 
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Chubbs said:

One just opened next to my house. Seems they have a lot of low end power tools, but a lot of items that are handy for cheap. Including nitrile gloves, sandpaper, tarps, clamps, etc.

My question is--- are there any must-haves to look for and any "duds" to look out for?

Where did they open the store in Cola?  My office is in west Columbia and I didn't realize we had one.  Also, if your interested in lunch let me know.  I hooked up with @northGAcock a few weeks ago.  Maybe we could all coordinate.  My treat.  I'm thinking Hudsons.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    The 4x6 band saw is pretty impressive for the money. I have been using one for about two years, making in excess of two hundred cuts of 1" x 1" square bar (A36 solid mild steel). I have not had any problems. If you buy one, make sure to change the original, cheap blade that comes with it with a Morse, Starrett or other quality blade.

There are several forums that discuss the various modifications that have / can be made to this device.

Also, their Pittsburgh Pro impact sockets (1/2") are pretty decent quality for a weekend project adventurer. Don't get me wrong, they don't come near the quality of Snap-On or SK Tools, but I'm sure you already assumed this.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Bungie cords. They always seem to have packs of bungie cords on sale. I have bungie cords everywhere. Keep a pack in all my vehicles, deck box, etc. Not sure why, but they always seem to get used for something eventually.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Chubbs
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Chubbs said:

Where did they open the store in Cola?  My office is in west Columbia and I didn't realize we had one.  Also, if your interested in lunch let me know.  I hooked up with @northGAcock a few weeks ago.  Maybe we could all coordinate.  My treat.  I'm thinking Hudsons.
    I am in Forest Acres. They opened one a few miles down Two Notch. Brand new and huge compared to others I have been in. Lunch sounds good to me. I live a crazy busy life with travel for work, a crazy 3 year old and an infant but I always have time for Q
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Chubbs said:

I am in Forest Acres. They opened one a few miles down Two Notch. Brand new and huge compared to others I have been in. Lunch sounds good to me. I live a crazy busy life with travel for work, a crazy 3 year old and an infant but I always have time for Q
    Careful hooking up down on Tow Notch..... You know what they say about Two Notch!
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Their pneumatic floor nailer held up for 1200 sf of oak flooring at the old house, turned around and then sold it for some cash at the end.  No complaints.

I buy drill bits there all the time.  I usually always buy latex gloves there too for messy jobs, including cleaning the egg.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    I'm am with you on the travel, I am a few steps ahead with a 7 year old but same work load just different topics.  At three they love everything they can't have.  At seven you must explain why they can't and then they do it when your not looking.  Let me know when, send me a private message and we will hook up.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Chubbs
    Options
    ckali7 said:
    Chubbs said:
    Chubbs said:

Careful hooking up down on Tow Notch..... You know what they say about Two Notch!
    Brother that is all of columbia. Million dollar home next to a ghetto. One of my neighbors whom is extremely wealthy had $500k in family jewelry stolen after flood. Tough in columbia right now. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Watch for flyers. They always have 20% off 1 item coupons 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Watch for flyers. They always have 20% off 1 item coupons 
    Maybe it differs around the country, but for months our Sunday paper has carried their ads with the 20% coupons. Besides that they have run their ads in Popular Mechanics for years upon years.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I have a few of their tools. I wouldn't try to make a living using them but they work fine for occasional use. 

This. Don't expect their tools to last forever or be passed down generations, but they get the job done. You'll get 20%off coupons emailed to you if you sign up with them.

Things I've liked:

Tarps

Canvas

4" grinder

reciprocating saw

step bits

WEEDBURNER!!

gloves

free LED flashlights and measuring tapes (with coupons).

razor blades (the kind for doing lines of coke with... drugstore is always sold out for some reason).

Things I've disliked:

cutting wheels (practically disintegrated when I used one).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I bought a 4" angle grinder for less than $20 and now wonder how I lived without it.  It's loud, and throws sparks and will cut through anything.  It's awesome.  

Like with any tool from HF, make sure you buy quality blades, cutoff discs, etc. Typically the tools are decent enough for occasional use.  

Personally, I love that place. Specifically for bungee cords and nitrile gloves.  I also bought a folding trailer, and made it into a kayak trailer.  

I've bought a couple stinkers there, but not very many.  (Stay away from the $1.99 grabber handle thingy).  

Not it sure if you've seen it, but Google Harbor Fraught flyer.  It's a trip. I imagine someone will be along shortly with that link. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Chubbs said:

I'm game for that as well.  Always great to meet fellow eggers.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I have an angle grinder from there.  Paid like $15.  Works great if you don't mind the always on feature, off switch has never worked.

It tends to get really hot too and occassionally smokes.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Chubbs
    Options
    I have an angle grinder from there.  Paid like $15.  Works great if you don't mind the always on feature, off switch has never worked.

Haha. Solid review. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have been traveling (work) a good bit lately. Would love to hook up for some Que if in town. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have a few tools from there. I agree with the comments above in that you won't likely get a lifetime's use out of them but they get the job done. Their tool chests are pretty good. Far better than a Craftsman or the stuff at Home Depot for the same money. I buy gloves, tarps, etc there too. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I have bought HF for years, if you buy the professional grade its not to bad, most of it is well worth the money. If you buy the cheap grade it is mostly junk. I have a ton of Mac, Snap-on, Blackhawk, etc and some HF that is just as good. They have lifetime warranty and trust me "no questions asked" on returns. I painted a 32ft motorhome with a 9.95 gravity fed spray gun and left a 500.00 gun in the box, looks great!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

hahaha  That thing has plastic gears.  Suckkah!!!!
    Options
    their 48 inch jack is dangerous, dont buy that jack
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited January 2016
    Options
    agree

pick up a $9 orange butane torch.  they are very versatile in the kitchen (and lighting cigars)

http://www.harborfreight.com/micro-torch-42099.html

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The deadblow hammers are nice, and when they fly into a million pieces just bring most of them back and get a new hammer for free. I have a good bit of hf tools. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Chubbs
    Options
    Bump for the buffalo