Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

vent settings for cold smoking

Options
We're cold smoking some bacon tonight using the A-Maze-N smoker 5x8 with apple wood pellets. It's 35 degrees now and supposed to get down into the low 20s tonight and very little wind. I'm thinking bottom vent completely open and no daisy wheel. We have no lump in the large egg and my husband even took the firebox out so it's just sitting on the bottom grate, to get plenty of air so the pellets don't go out. 

Does anyone have any recommendations of changes? This is the first time we are using the A-Maze-N smoker. 
Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Bottom open up all the way, daisy off.
    I would leave the firebox in and set the AMNPS on the fire grate. Do use the plate setter for an indirect setup.

Here's a full on tutorial put together by Cen Tex Smoker.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158809/a-maze-n-smoker-tutorial/p1

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Bottom open daisy off. You using pellets or sawdust? Lighting both ends or one?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks, yes we are using the plate setter and he has the AMZPS on the firebox grate. I thought I'd bookmarked the tutorial before but I guess I didn't and using search I didn't find it. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    No need for plate setter. I put AMS on fire grate and belly on clean grate at stock level and on top of AR. 
  • Angela
    Options
    We're only lighting one end and using pellets. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    No need for plate setter. I put AMS on fire grate and belly on clean grate at stock level and on top of AR. 
    I've had cheese get dark and the belly I did direct had dark spots from the IR of the burning pellets, that's why I switched to indirect.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Angela
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Well we had some issues with it going out on the overnight smoke. So relit it this morning and while it didn't go out it seemed very close to it a few times. Twice it got to the point where there was no visual smoke but there was a tiny amount of coals still alive. I've ended up removing the plate setter and it's been an hour and so far so good with decent smoke. My husband is at work, so I'm on babysitting duty with the egg lol. 
  • Chubbs
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Angela said:
    Well we had some issues with it going out on the overnight smoke. So relit it this morning and while it didn't go out it seemed very close to it a few times. Twice it got to the point where there was no visual smoke but there was a tiny amount of coals still alive. I've ended up removing the plate setter and it's been an hour and so far so good with decent smoke. My husband is at work, so I'm on babysitting duty with the egg lol. 
    Put new pellets in and place in low oven ~200 or so for 30 minutes. Then relight. Should fix you up 
  • Angela
    Options
    It's been running fine since I took the platesetter out. It's burned about 1/2 way now. 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I find starting the smoker try outside of the egg for even more airflow helps get it going. Once you get a good start on the pellets, place inside the Egg.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Angela
    Options
    That is what I was doing, starting it outside the egg and once it had a good bed of coals moving it to the egg.