Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Stoker

Options
I store my Stoker in my unheated garage, I pulled it out to use it the other day and it wouldn't show a display. It was 35 degrees in the garage so I took it inside to warm it up till I got it to work. After about 5 min out side it started to screw up again. What does other stoker owners do to use theirs when it's cold outside. 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Bumb for Bo ...

Also interested in knowing if your results are different than others.  5 degrees here today ... would have been a bummer to not be able to use it.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    As you found out many standard LCD displays do not like freezing temps.

Can't you just configure and monitor that via your computer/phone/tablet and not worry about the display?

Might pass that along to Stoker. There are LCDs that are designed to work in much lower temps but perhaps Stoker just assumed their customers were mostly fairer weather types.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    As you found out many standard LCD displays do not like freezing temps.

Can't you just configure and monitor that via your computer/phone/tablet and not worry about the display?

Might pass that along to Stoker. There are LCDs that are designed to work in much lower temps but perhaps Stoker just assumed their customers were mostly fairer weather types.
    That's a good point but I couldn't connect to my network. After I warmed up the unit it connected but when it went haywire again I lost connection. I gave up and went manual. Maybe I need to store the stoker indoors, It started this problem after I stored it in the garage with my other cooking stuff.  

Cleveland, TN.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    That's weird. I wouldn't have thought the internals would be affected by the cold to the point of not working. The display going wonky yes but not the actual internal computer/wifi glitching.

Do you keep yours in a plastic box or something to protect if rom rain? If you do you could get a cheap $10 heating pad an put that in the bottom of the box. That should be able to create a warm enough environment.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• chadpsualum
    Options
    I used mine yesterday (stored in my garage about 50F) outside in 25-30F conditions.  I kept it in a plastic tote I modified to keep it dry.  I had no problems.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    You can use a stereo 1/4" extension wire with a splitter on the end to extend the probes. Keep the Stoker somewhere warmer and then run the wire out to the egg. Shouldn't be a problem doing that and I've done it for a BBQ cookoff so the Stoker didn't disappear overnight. Rock's BBQ suggests giving the fan its own extension wire and the probes can share a second wire.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    Options
    I noticed my iGrill2 screen going in and out in the cold as well. 25-30F weather. The bluetooth didn't skip a beat though. It stayed connected and showed me what I needed to see.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited March 2016
    Options
    UPDATE on Stoker, This thing is dead

Cleveland, TN.