Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket recommendations?

Options
Time to replace the OEM gasket on my medium BGE - any recommendations?
Nashville, TN

Medium BGE | Large BGE | Little Griddle | Kick Ash Basket | Looftlighter

Comments

• chadpsualum
    Options
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Rutland. Rutland. Rutland!!!!  There is no other option that comes close. @RRP will hook you up.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I lay down a bead of mayonnaise intertwined with ketchup before each cook.   
    You can also use French dressing.
    :blush:

I did order a Rutland from RRP but I found it has one major fault...  it has yet to make it from the box it came in to my egg.  :lol: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Yea...I ordered my gasket from Ron... And he didn't even come all the way to FL to put it on for me... But for only a few bucks and 10 minutes. I put it on mysef... So I guess he's not such a bad guy.

shoot him a message @RRP he will take care of you. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if you need a gasket, rrp buys in bulk and sells at cost with directions. i personally lost my need for a gasket 12 years ago, go gasketless if you dont have a problem holding temps =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fast93
    Fast93 Posts: 4
    Options
    Gasket-less is one way to go, but having the gasket also conserves fuel.  Even if your Egg gets to temperature, you may be burning more charcoal than necessary.  Maybe that's no big deal.  Your call.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Fast93 said:
    Gasket-less is one way to go, but having the gasket also conserves fuel.  Even if your Egg gets to temperature, you may be burning more charcoal than necessary.  Maybe that's no big deal.  Your call.
    its such a little difference you would never know it.  what wastes lump is indirect setups, do your low and slows raised grid direct and you will see a 30 to 40 percent decrease in wasted lump
    fukahwee maine

• Jellyworm
    Options
     Order a Rutland from RRP, I did.  It is the way to go for a new gasket. 
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • Jcacavias
    Jcacavias Posts: 137
    Options
    I just got my Rutland from Ron this week.  @RRP is a stand up guy with great service!
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Who are these guys wearing tin foil hats preaching about skipping the gaskets all together?  What?!?!
    :wink:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    I just received my Rutland from Ron yesterday. Great guy, ships lightning fast and on your honor to pay. 
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    its such a little difference you would never know it.  what wastes lump is indirect setups, do your low and slows raised grid direct and you will see a 30 to 40 percent decrease in wasted lump
    @fishlessman this is intriguing... Please educate me hear -- what kinds of low and slows do you do raised direct?  I'd love to not deal with plate setters and drip  pans
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fishlessman
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @fishlessman this is intriguing... Please educate me hear -- what kinds of low and slows do you do raised direct?  I'd love to not deal with plate setters and drip  pans
    duck, ribs, the occasional pork butt. trick is raised direct and a minimal amount of lump to increase distance between meat and fire and about 220 dome instead of 250. the platesetter actually reflects heat down so you end up with a hotter fire down below than what is needed to actually cook the food. check this butt cook out and its amazing how little lump is used. ive done porrk spares with used lump less than 2 inches deep

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/507801/cooking-a-butt-direct

fukahwee maine

• 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    Gave up on gaskets a long time ago...now only use the Ultracopper to make a gasket...has held up for a couple of years now but if it ever fails...its very easy to remove/replace since I still use a steel ring...it adheres much better than to ceramic....here's my old thread on it...

Gasket Woes
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    My RRP gasket is still in the box.  I checked again this morning.  It has not made it's way to the grill yet.  I put the ultracopper next to it as a hint.  WTF?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    My RRP gasket is still in the box.  I checked again this morning.  It has not made it's way to the grill yet.  I put the ultracopper next to it as a hint.  WTF?
    The material is inexpensive and so is my labor charge but the expense reimbursement from Illinois to Maryland - that's the killer... =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have had my egg for 2 years now and have yet to replace the gasket, but when I do it will be from @RRP.  I may replace it this spring when it warms up.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    I have had my egg for 2 years now and have yet to replace the gasket, but when I do it will be from @RRP.  I may replace it this spring when it warms up.
    you only need to replace it if it is leaking. Just saying......
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I got my Rutland from Ron and installed it 6 months ago. So far so good. Ron sells the gasket silicone needs to also be purchased. The gasket after 6 months looks great. The gasket will not be the weak point.
  • RRP
    Options
    Mikee said:
    I got my Rutland from Ron and installed it 6 months ago. So far so good. Ron sells the gasket silicone needs to also be purchased. The gasket after 6 months looks great. The gasket will not be the weak point.
    Ron sells the gasket silicone needs to also be purchased.   Sorry, but that's not true. Permatex Ultra Copper is readily available at auto supply stores all over the world so I do not sell it.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    @RRP, I think he just forgot to put a comma in there.  I had to read the sentence twice myself.
    I found that stuff on Amazon prime for, I think, $6.  :plus_one: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • RRP
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    @RRP, I think he just forgot to put a comma in there.  I had to read the sentence twice myself.
    I found that stuff on Amazon prime for, I think, $6.  :plus_one: 
    I hear you - I just want to make sure there was no misunderstanding since technically speaking the Permatex is a "gasket silicone" but you are correct the comma was missing. As they say it's better to miss a comma than miss a period... ;)
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    RRP said:
    ... As they say it's better to miss a comma than miss a period... ;)
    :lol: Never heard that one before!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Mikee
    Options
    RRP said:
    Mikee said:
    Ron sells the gasket silicone needs to also be purchased.   Sorry, but that's not true. Permatex Ultra Copper is readily available at auto supply stores all over the world so I do not sell it.

Missed the comma. Ron sells the gasket, silicone needs to be also purchased.

Does that meet your approval?

• RRP
    Options
    Mikee said:
    RRP said:
    Mikee said:

Missed the comma. Ron sells the gasket, silicone needs to be also purchased.

Does that meet your approval?

Sorry man...I was just trying to clarify. I even tried some humor to explain, but I guess you missed my later post.
  • Mikee
    Options

Ron

No offence taken. You provided many of us with the Rutland gasket and the procedure to install it.