Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Know your cuts

Options
2»

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    jad said:
    a little off topic but where can one find a good description of the different cuts? Is there a good book or website to use as a reference. Don't need to become a butcher but would like something more then the picture of a steer or pig that shows parts and cuts.
    Something that explains center cut, end cut, prime, select... etc etc.

Thanks

This is an oldie, but I have found useful:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Up-Kitchen-Butchers-Poultry/dp/0877010714/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1452291015&sr=1-1&keywords=Cutting-up+in+the+kitchen

price is difinitely good.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    blasting said:
    That's a good one.  

I realize that's probably typical, but I've got to give a shout out to my local supermarket butcher.  He told me to stop buying hamburger, and that I should just ask him to grind up good quality cuts when on sale.  Better ground beef - less money - who am I to argue.

For those in the south and shopping at publix, this is what they do and sell for "market " ground beef. Unknown fat quantity by "law". But my locsl guy told me to stop buying the other crap. The market is ground in store and packaged from the strips, sirloins, ribeyes and briskets and chuck roasts. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax