Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Cast Iron Scores over the holidays?

Options
I landed a puppy treat piece and a small casserole. Dogs seem to like the egged treats.
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    In Augusta this weekend and MIL pulled out an old Griswold for breakfast this Am. I need to get some better pieces. I told her I would gladly take some off her hands.  :)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

Got an enamel CI dutch oven. So far I love it! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    In Augusta this weekend and MIL pulled out an old Griswold for breakfast this Am. I need to get some better pieces. I told her I would gladly take some off her hands.  :)
    Always the gentleman you are. Any luck?

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I got a 12 inch lodge skillet! Pretty stoked about it and now the veggies I cook don't fall through the grates.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Always the gentleman you are. Any luck?
    She said It has my name on it just not sure when. I am going to start a collection
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • AVEngineer
    Options
    I scored a Dutch Oven. Looking forward to making chili with it. 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • northGAcock
    Options

Braising some ribs there Matt? Nice score on the durch oven.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I still need to pick up an enameled dutch oven.

I'm still envious of the Egger that posted a pic of a rack in his kitchen that stored all his cast iron.  I need to find something to put in the kitchen to get all my cast iron in/on.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Yessir, sure did!  SWMBO got me a few to add to my growing collection. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I still need to pick up an enameled dutch oven.

I'm still envious of the Egger that posted a pic of a rack in his kitchen that stored all his cast iron.  I need to find something to put in the kitchen to get all my cast iron in/on.
    You should see @northGAcock 's collection. It's phenomenal.  Maybe it was a pic of his?  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Nice haul brother!!  Cheers to your wife!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I bought myself an 8" lodge skillet for Christmas. I also have the 12" and 10", plus a Dutch oven and a chicken fryer.   I've used the 10" skillet the most and it's probably the best all-around size. The 8" is on my stove top now, and it may be all you need if you cook mostly for yourself. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Mighty nice score Craig. You will love those toys. Does the casserole fit the mini?

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

What does this puppy treat piece look like?

I'm a huge cast iron fan, like yourself.  However my use has been cut in half since getting the Blackstone this past summer.  I still won't pass by anything decent without buying it though - it's an addiction.

Phoenix 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

Braising some ribs there Matt? Nice score on the durch oven.
    @northGAcock searing a pork roast for pork and sauerkraut later.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Mighty nice score Craig. You will love those toys. Does the casserole fit the mini?
    Unfortunately it won't close with the handles.  I could always cut those off, but I think I'll leave it intact for now.  I can still cook on it with the dome open. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    blasting said:

I'm a huge cast iron fan, like yourself.  However my use has been cut in half since getting the Blackstone this past summer.  I still won't pass by anything decent without buying it though - it's an addiction.

@blasting  Picture below. It is about 6 inchens in length. I think my daughter purchased from Home Goods. 

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    While on vacation in Bay St. Louis, MS before New Years I purchased a No. 5 cast iron pan from a second hand store for $22. No indication of maker on the bottom, just says "made in USA". Brought it home, scoured it out with oil and steel wool and used it tonite for bell pepper chunks to go with reverse sear steak. Now have 4 different sized pans B)

Cheers,
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • blasting
    Options
    blasting said:

@blasting  Picture below. It is about 6 inchens in length. I think my daughter purchased from Home Goods. 

That's unique. I'm sure pup will appreciate the shape. 

I've been on the hunt for the 7 quart DO for about 6 months now.  I'm ordering a new one this week, so of course that means I'll come across a at least one vintage one in the next few months.  

I gave a few duplicate pieces to my dad for Christmas.  I've gotten him inboard with using CI on his grill.

Phoenix 
  • blasting
    Options
    While on vacation in Bay St. Louis, MS before New Years I purchased a No. 5 cast iron pan from a second hand store for $22. No indication of maker on the bottom, just says "made in USA". Brought it home, scoured it out with oil and steel wool and used it tonite for bell pepper chunks to go with reverse sear steak. Now have 4 different sized pans B)

Cheers,

@ChrisgrillsSTLMO   If you ever want to look up a piece, this is a pretty good resource:
    http://www.castironcollector.com/numbers.php

Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    @blasting  Thanks for the link.....great resource I was not aware of. I have a Lodge Factory outlet in my proximity and happy to pick you up a piece or two if you ever need me to. Right now I am flying out about twice a week to Burbank and flying though PHX. In fact headed out tomorrow. Last time I was thru I passed your honorable Senator John McCain as I was exiting the bathroom (he was entering). at any rate, enjoy your cast iron and show it some love....Have a great week.

• blasting
    Options
    @blasting  Thanks for the link.....great resource I was not aware of. I have a Lodge Factory outlet in my proximity and happy to pick you up a piece or two if you ever need me to. Right now I am flying out about twice a week to Burbank and flying though PHX. In fact headed out tomorrow. Last time I was thru I passed your honorable Senator John McCain as I was exiting the bathroom (he was entering). at any rate, enjoy your cast iron and show it some love....Have a great week.

That is a mighty kind offer, I really appreciate it.  That sure is a lot of travelling you're doing.  Kind of cool to run into into senator McCain, he seems like a good guy.  
    Phoenix 
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    My ole lady is a cast iron freak....every antique/thrift store I go in, I look fer cast iron.  I picked her up a beautiful set a few weeks ago...It looks like a deep (4.5 inch) skillet/pot w/ a lid that doubles as a shallow skillet.  It's probably 8-9 inches wide. Never seen one like it!  It has no markings on it.  Got both pieces fer bout $60.
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    I gave my husband a Lodge Dutch oven and a Lodge skillet. I caught a good sale and only paid $75. The gift may have been for him, but in the long run it is benefiting me.  :)
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE Posts: 293
    edited January 2016
    Options

This Christmas was an amazing score for cast iron toys!  My awesome wife surprised me with a Staub 13” cast iron double handle fry pan.  I have not been able to get this guy fired up on the Egg just yet but can not wait to make a paella or other fun cooks.

My favorite gift of the season was from my grandmother who was a fantastic cook in her time. She gifted me a Wagner Ware Sidney 10.5 Cast Iron fry pan.  This was the fry pan she used when cooking every day meals for my father and his siblings over 40 years ago.  MAMA has kept this thing in immaculate condition and I cannot wait to sear a steak or fry up some chicken in this awesome family heirloom.  Happy New Year to everyone!!!! 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Nice pieces Wahoo!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    This is a pretty good resource for the "vintage cookware enthusiast".  Everything from cooking tips to cleaning cast iron to identifying no-name iron.

http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    @TN_Egger great resource.  You are the man!  
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    BrookieP said:
    I gave my husband a Lodge Dutch oven and a Lodge skillet. I caught a good sale and only paid $75. The gift may have been for him, but in the long run it is benefiting me.  :)
    That's what my wife said too @BrookieP.   ;) She has used them more since Christmas than I have. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    BrookieP said:
    Funny.....I catch he!! for giving those kind of gifts to the wif.