Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Years Boston Baked Brisket and Beans

Options
 I lurk here a lot. Comment some. I have learned a lot in the short time I have been around this Site and I appreciate all the help. But it was time to share a different type cook, even though I struggle with computers.Taking inspiration from a Youtube video made by "castironchaos" I decided to undertake a New Years Day cook of brisket and beans.

My version would be on the LBGE and have a few modifications. Being from Connecticut, brisket is not readily available and it is expensive. Today's 6.3 pound flat was purchased early this Fall "on sale" for $7.99/pound during the Jewish holidays. My deep chest freezer kept it ready for today's cook. Not wanting to duplicate the oven based cook in the original video I decided a period of smoke prior to the finishing braise would be the path I would take.

The rub consisted of two parts black pepper, one part kosher salt, one part paprika and one half part each of onion and garlic powders. Rubbed it and let it set while I got the fire going at 225*. After the smoke settled I added Cherry chunks and mesquite chips. Put the platesetter and grid in. Added the meat and let it begin to smoke. 

The Great Northern beans had soaked overnight. I chopped some onions, seared off some store bought smokey bacon, a bit of salt pork and some cured(but not smoked) belly bacon I had made. Added these to a big cast iron dutch oven. I prepared a sauce of tomato paste, ketchup, worcesterchire sauce, garlic, brown sugar, white sugar, maple syrup, cider vinegar, dried mustard, soy sauce and molasses. Combined them all and put the pot on the platesetter and the brisket on the rack above it for a while. After a few hours of smoking(meat at about 145* internal) I put the meat in the CI pot and put the lid on. Raised temp to 300*(or a bit above). I needed to shorten the cook time to eat at a reasonable time. 

Well, I hit the target time of 5:00 nearly perfectly. The beans were wonderful. The flat a touch on the dry side(mostly due to meat quality, but a bit from rushing the cook) for my desires, but really quite good for an experimental type cook. Next time I will know to use a bit less liquid and allow for extra cook time. The family was quite impressed with the meal(they never get brisket) And it is a technique I will employ again using a pork shoulder next time. It also got me more familiar with brisket and I look forward to a nice spring cook with a large SRF packer brisket. 

Here are a few pics.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim

Comments