Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mold in eggs

I know I have seen discussions here about this but for some reason searching freezes when I try to find those discussions. My 3 eggs have mold in them due to all the rain we've had recently. I have a party tonight and need to get them cleaned up. Do I just do a clean burn and all will be ok? Thx!!!
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• Burn around 500 for a few hours.....  If its really furry, scrape it down with some balled up foil.  Discard all the lump used for the burn. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Agree with @DaveRichardson.  Mold in the egg from time to time is almost inevitable.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • and there's arguments on completely sealing off the egg vs. allowing air flow thru to combat mold......

Just get food crud out when you are done cooking and you'll be fine most of the time. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• 2beast
    2beast Posts: 50
    Use them more often  ;)
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Clean burn- it will be white as new and no more mold.  Load with lump light in three spots and open airflow.  you don't have to open air completely as it will likely go over 1000 degrees.  I typically hold around 700 or so to keep gasket, etc.  I also remove the thermo prior to doing this. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • thx. I did clean burns and they look good. I usually open vents but will now try keeping them closed to see what happens. I think it would have occurred either way with the amt of rain here recently. There was very sm globs of puffy gray/green mold on grate and circular spots on the egg walls.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • EGG_Daddy
    EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
    And prepare to see this...

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• What the foot causes that!!  Moisture inside weeping out?  
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    With all the rain we've had, you're lucky they're not in the river down there. Good thing they don't float!
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    EGG_Daddy said:

Was that egg submerged in water for you lit it? That's a lot of moisture in the ceramic.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Hot hot hot burn. Itll cure what ails yer egg...
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    EGG_Daddy said:

OMG.  That egg is ruint!  Don't ever cook on it again, could prove deadly.  Ship it to me and I'll take care of it.  Cheesy egg syndrome, scary.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,677
    Pull temp gadge and fill up with lump. It will be clean. Not top cap and bottom wide open. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Sounds like y'all don't use your egg enough.  If you cook in it every night, this would not be a problem.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Mickey
    edited January 2016
    tfhanson said:
    Sounds like y'all don't use your egg enough.  If you cook in it every night, this would not be a problem.
    When you have 4 it's hard to use them all every night a$$hole. It happens!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tfhanson
    Mickey said:
    tfhanson said:
    Wow Mickey, seems like you need to get out of your parents basement and off the internet and learn how to socialize.  Also, you might want to pick up a sense of humor when you see the daylight.
  • Mickey
    tfhanson said:
    Mickey said:
    tfhanson said:
    Wow Mickey, seems like you need to get out of your parents basement and off the internet and learn how to socialize.  Also, you might want to pick up a sense of humor when you see the daylight.
    All PC aside: you are an a$$hole. 

• tfhanson
    Mickey said:
    tfhanson said:
    Mickey said:
    tfhanson said:
    Seriously dude, get out the basement.... Get some social skills, learn what a joke is.  Maybe someday  you can actually learn to hang out with other people.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    tfhanson said:
    Mickey said:
    tfhanson said:
    Mickey said:
    tfhanson said:
    Seriously dude, get out the basement.... Get some social skills, learn what a joke is.  Maybe someday  you can actually learn to hang out with other people.
    Seriously dude, Mickey is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tfhanson
    DMW said:
    tfhanson said:
    Mickey said:
    tfhanson said:
    Mickey said:
    tfhanson said:
    Seriously dude, Mickey is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Maybe this "nicest' guy should stop calling me names. I did nothing to and said nothing to him yet he chose to call me a name.