Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Rib Roast (Prime Rib)

Aloha,
I have looked on this site and the cooking methods seem to be all over the map.  I'm cooking my first one Friday and have a TON of money tied up in this thing.  Don't want to completely ruin it.  But I don't want to go to too much trouble with the whole reverse sear and all.  Just looking for a couple of pointers:
Raised grid direct or indirect?
Dome temp and for roughly how long?
Pull at what internal temperature probably shooting for the Medium range as some of my family will be turned off by blood.
The roast I have is about 17 lbs bone in.  I plan to keep the bones in place rather than cutting them off and re-tying them.

I appreciate all who respond.  I know that there have been a million threads on this topic but just trying to wrap my brain around it.
Thank you

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Here's a recent thread on the same topic:
    Prime Rib Cook times
    And some inputs to your questions;
    I go indirect with around 250*F on the calibrated dome for around 25 mins a lb-for around a 6-8 lb roast.  That said, once the length of the roast exceeds the diameter of the roast, the cook time becomes about the same.
    That size roast I would pull around 10*F short of your target temp for carryover effect.
    And a thought-you may want to remove the bones and smoke separately for a follow-on treat.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Go to you tube and watch ted readers prime rib video...I did it last yr and it was delicious 
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Good advice so far.  I would strongly recommend reconsidering the reverse sear, but I like a good sear/char on the outside of beef.  It is very easy to do. Try a practice run on a chicken if you haven't done it before.  

As far as medium, you are a way nicer guy than me.  If I spent that much money on a dinner, it is Rare, Medium-Rare, or get the hell out of my house (with the exception of my wife who doesn't like blood either.)
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    That size, pull it way early because it will have plenty of carryover during the rest. I'd pull under 110. If you cook it to 130, you might as well throw it away because it will all be well done after the rest. Also, at that size you should have a variety of meat doneness. Outside slices will be medium and it will transition to probably rare in the center, at most a med rare. Everyone should be happy. The only bad part about bone-in is if someone wants a thinner slice, there could be a bone in the way.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Bone in slices can still be any thickness you want. Just slice off the rack of ribs in its entirety and then slice the roast as needed

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I will offer one tip that may just save the day.  Be sure to let the fire smoke burn clear before you put the roast on.  Impatience can spoil  the taste in a hurry.   
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    You mention some of your family would be turned off by blood - would others be fine with medium-rare?  If you cook the center to medium, the ends will be somewhere around medium-well/shoe leather.  If you can cook the center med-rare, the ends will be medium.

I'd cook it relatively low (250-275) indirect.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Would you guys recommend putting any smoke on it?  Maybe some oak?
  • Thanks for the input guys.  I guess the hardest decision is what internal to pull it at.  I have seen as high as 145 but that sounds ridiculously high to me.  Thanks Toxarch for recommending 110.  I was looking at the roast last night and I think it is way too big.  May cut off 1/4 and do a trial run.
  • I've got an 8# that I am thinking bout reverse searing.  What temp would y'all think about pulling it?  105-110 - crank it up to 500* and sear?
  • greennewb said:
    Thanks for the input guys.  I guess the hardest decision is what internal to pull it at.  I have seen as high as 145 but that sounds ridiculously high to me.  Thanks Toxarch for recommending 110.  I was looking at the roast last night and I think it is way too big.  May cut off 1/4 and do a trial run.
    Put that 145 out of your head man! That would be criminal on a beautiful hunk of meat like that...
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Strongly reconsider cutting off bones and re-tying.   After it's cooked, each bone cut will weight approx 2 lbs....way too much for 1 serving.   The easiest way to maul and ruin a ribeye roast is trying to get the bones detached after cooking.   They also obstruct surface area and cut down on crispy barky outer texture....the best part.   I cook them on the side and have some yummy beef ribs as pre-dinner treats and use them to make an au jus dipping gravy.   Good luck with your cook!   I'm doing the same tomorrow night.   
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Mayberry said:
    Strongly reconsider cutting off bones and re-tying.   After it's cooked, each bone cut will weight approx 2 lbs....way too much for 1 serving.   The easiest way to maul and ruin a ribeye roast is trying to get the bones detached after cooking.   They also obstruct surface area and cut down on crispy barky outer texture....the best part.   I cook them on the side and have some yummy beef ribs as pre-dinner treats and use them to make an au jus dipping gravy.   Good luck with your cook!   I'm doing the same tomorrow night.   
    I did exactly that the first time I served a rib roast on Christmas years ago and it was hilarious. Each cut took up the entire plate with no room for sides. The men were down with it but the women looked at me like I was insane. Live and learn...
  • yea, I think you are right Mayberry.  The bones will be a problem with portion size.  I'll just cut them off

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    I use the recipe on the Amazing Rib website. They explain everything in detail. I've use this recipe for my Christmas roast for the past few years and have had very good results. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html . Merry Christmas!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited December 2015
    Fun fact. There's no blood in this thing

anyway. As a wise man once suggested, serve by candlelight, and they will never know it is rare or medium-rare

just cut the bones off after you cook it. 

Reverse searing tends to give you a ring of overcooked meat.  Better to go lower and slower for longer. And that roast should already be unwrapped and sitting uncovered in the fridge by now. Durface will dry and give you a nice golden brown crust
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    edited December 2015
    OK my 2cnts I like to  cook them ribs on, not tied back on, fat cap down. Cut the ribs off after the rest. The ribs will be a treat in themselves. Once the ribs are removed you can slice away. The cap protects the roast from the direct heat. I wouldn't add more smoke you'll get plenty from the lump.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Darby,
    I am cooking it Friday.  It is sitting wrapped from the butcher in the fridge.  So I should unwrap it?  I know that's how you dry age which i wasn't going to tackle just yet.  
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    greennewb said:
    Darby,
    I am cooking it Friday.  It is sitting wrapped from the butcher in the fridge.  So I should unwrap it?  I know that's how you dry age which i wasn't going to tackle just yet.  
    I'm not Darby, but yes, unwrap it. You won't have time to age it, but it will dry. A dry roast will form a better crust during roasting.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited December 2015
    At this point it isnt aging it's just drying

will give the fat a better chance at crisping

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Great thread.  I have an 11.5er from The Fresh market in the fridge drying right now myself.  Always good to refresh the memories because I only do one of these every year or two.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited December 2015
    Mayberry said:
    They also obstruct surface area and cut down on crispy barky outer texture....the best part.
    How do they obstruct surface area and cut down on the bark?

Not disagreeing, just trying to visualize what you said.
  • Mayberry
    Sweet100s said:
    Mayberry said:
    They also obstruct surface area and cut down on crispy barky outer texture....the best part.

After you cut off the rib bones, there is bare meat with no bark/crust.    I just fibd it 'uch harder to serve when cooked with bones on.   Mine for tomorrow is Prime ribeye 7 lb roast, no bones.    
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    When you dry brine with salt overnight, do you leave uncovered in the fridge overnight, or cover in some way?   Do you wash away the salt the next morning and then season from there, or just add seasonings to existing salt that sat overnight?

Athens, GA
  • lousubcap
    edited December 2015
    In my simple world, leave it uncovered until you are ready to go straight from the fridge to the BGE.  No salt washing-just rub with some fresh coarse ground pepper and rosemary right before it goes on.  I'm sure there are other approaches and all will work as long as you hit your target finish-temp.  Enjoy the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mayberry
    Thanks.   Appreciate the advice.    There's no way I can "oversalt" a 7 lb piece of meat dry brining the night before, is there?   I just don't want to ruin over a $100 piece of meat.    This thing is pretty, and the butcher gave me a sweet deal....prime for the same price as choice.   
    Athens, GA
  • lousubcap
    edited December 2015
    The thumb rule is about 1/2 teaspoon /lb of beef but I go lighter than that.  I go by the eyeball test and I probably should push the recommended quantity sometime but I find a good dusting that covers the surface works for me.  
    Edit:  Just kosher salted an 8.5 lb boneless CAB beef roast tonight for Thurs early PM cook.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    If cooking with the ribs on, I would have them 90% cut off before the cook. Once the roast is cooked it doesn't take much work to separate the bones from the roast. It then allows to cut the roast into slices without regard to of rib size. The rib bones can then be shared for those who want rib bones.
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited December 2015
    Mayberry said:
    Sweet100s said:
    Mayberry said:

After you cut off the rib bones, there is bare meat with no bark/crust.    I just fibd it 'uch harder to serve when cooked with bones on.   Mine for tomorrow is Prime ribeye 7 lb roast, no bones.    

ohhhhhhhh I thought you meant make the bones shorter.
    I was picturing hacksaw action...

agreed, taking the bones completely off would increase surface area for bark.