Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chex Mix on the egg???

Options
I'm going to make a big batch of Chex mix tomorrow, and I was thinking about trying it on the egg to put a little smokey was in it. 

Has as anyone ever tried this?  Should I just stick with the oven?

Comments

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Go for it and let us know the outcome.
  • eggsurance_agent
    Options
    My dad used to make chex mix every year. Definitely let us know how it goes!
    LBGE
  • Talprince
    Options
    Eager to hear how this went!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    It works fine using lump only or at the very most light wood. 225℉-250℉
    Good luck & enjoy. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    Pls post the recipe you are using.  Really sounds great.  Thx
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have done it and picked up too much smoke. I would just use the lump and not add any smoke wood. I dropped a small handful of AMS maple pellets on my fire and even that was too much. Let us know how it turns out. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    I'm interested in this also
  • SloppyJoe
    Options
  • AVEngineer
    Options
    This brings back memories of my mom making it for me during the holidays.  I may have to get the recipe  from her and give it a try.
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    not sure I would fire up the egg just for Chex Mix... but, if I had it already hot for some other cook, I would throw it in there because it was already hot.
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Options
    I have made 2 batches of chex mix so far.  Not on the egg but i dusted the first with meatchurchs honey hog hot and used his seasonall instead of regular season salt.  The second i dust with meatchurch deez nutz pecan rub.  Both turned out awesome!!!
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    Well I decided to do it in the oven.  It's supposed to rain all day so I've decided to take the easy way out. 

Thn
    anks for the info.  I may try a batch on the egg at some point, and will let y'all know. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Smoke a small amount and mix it in with the rest

it has a lot of surface area, and that's where the smoke lands. Smoking the whole batch could be too much
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

You could add a little bit of smoked paprika and you favorite rub to the mix if you can't Egg it.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Sounds interesting...what internal temperature do you shoot for?

haha
    Egging in Indy...
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    Well it would not all fit in the pan in the oven, so I made 2 batches, one in the oven and the other in the egg. They are still cooking, but the batch in the egg is really good. My wife said it was confusing because it was cereal that tasted like a steak!

Here is the "recipe". I don't really have set items or amounts, I just add stuff till it tastes about right. 

Sauce
    4 sticks of butter
    half bottle of worchstershire sauce
    1/3 bottle Tabasco 
    garlic powder
    onion powder
    black pepper
    white pepper 
    butt rub

cereal mix
    box of each
    rice Chex
    corn Chex 
    wheat Chex
    peanuts
    cashews
    almonds

melt the butter and add all the sauce ingredients and simmer for a while. 

Mix all the cereal and nuts together, and pour the sauce over it, and mix it all up. 

Put it it in the egg indirect at about 250, and stir it up every 15 min or so until everything is crispy, normally an hour or 2. 

• Eber4968
    Options
    I smoked it on the egg for 1/2 the time, and in the bake in the oven for the remainder.  You can also make an oven batch and an egg batch and mix together.