Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt finished early

Options
BGE_Zach
BGE_Zach Posts: 11
Put 9# pork butt on this morning at 1:15, in preparation to eat at 5:00 tonight. Just got up and found it probing at 200-degrees and like butter. Any suggestions?

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,534
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've held one FTC in a  pre-warmed up cooler for 9hrs. I warmed the cooler and heated the towels.  Used 3 layers of foil on the butt as well.  

Edit: I did leave  temp probe in and monitor, and when I did finally unwrap from two towels and layers of foil, it was 168 degrees.  Note about the towels I wrap my butt in 2 towels and then fill the extra space in the cooler with more warmed towels. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    That's a long hold but it will probably be ok. Pack it tightly in a small cooler as stated above. Don't open other than to check the temp mid afternoon. Will probably still be above 140 but if not you can go ahead and pull/chop it and put it in a covered pan. Refrigerate until an hour before serving and then put it in an oven at 200 degrees. Actually, you can just go ahead and do that now if you don't want to worry about it. Make sure you leave it covered until you are ready to serve. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Foil, Towel, Cooler. I've gone 7 or 8 hours before FTC, but you may be too early for that. Another option is foil and rest for an hour then pull, vacuum seal or ziplock, and refrigerate until ready to eat. Just reheat when ready to eat. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • frankie482
    Options
    Just double or trippel foil. Wrap in towels  - I use an old fabric shower curtain. And put in the smallest cooler you can fit it in. 

My guess on FTC is foiled - towel - cooler.
  • ryantt
    edited December 2015
    Options
    FTC is foil towel cooler. 

• BGE_Zach
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    That's a long hold but it will probably be ok. Pack it tightly in a small cooler as stated above. Don't open other than to check the temp mid afternoon. Will probably still be above 140 but if not you can go ahead and pull/chop it and put it in a covered pan. Refrigerate until an hour before serving and then put it in an oven at 200 degrees. Actually, you can just go ahead and do that now if you don't want to worry about it. Make sure you leave it covered until you are ready to serve. 
    What's the significance of 140? 
  • ryantt
    Options
    Under 140 is considered a danger zone.  Keeping it above 140 is for food safety. 

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    140 is the temp which inhibits bacteria growth.  Over it, ur good.  Under it, ur sick (food poisoning).  

If it looks like you can't keep it above 140 for the time frame, you must pull and put in the refrigerator.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • BGE_Zach
    Options
    Thanks for the help everybody
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I had the same problem last week.  I put it in the oven at 170 and it was still moist and really good when I pulled it
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner