Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket - Xmas Eve

Options
I have finished my 3 year shopping expedition and now have my LBGE.  My first RS on Rib Steaks went well as did other small cooks.  Now I'm going nuts for Xmas Eve.  I've contacted a local butcher recommended from this group and will be picking up a 12-14 lb Point only, no flat, early next week.  I have a prep and cook plan based on several threads on brisket over the last few weeks.  Thanks by the way. 
My questions are;
1.  Is there an optimum rest time once you've probed like buddah?
2.  Do I wrap in butchers paper or just let it stand?
3.  I have to transport it from cook site to dinner site, about 20min.  Can I keep it wrapped in a cooler until it's time to eat and carve as the line forms?
4.  Does the fact it's just the Point change the 1 hour per pound estimate on cooking time at 225 - 275.
5.  Is there much of a difference in temp from the dome thermometer to the grill temp for L&S? Should I care?

I'll take plenty of pics the day of.  Texas Brisket in London, Ontario. Can't wait!

Comments

• reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    For 3 days you haven't gotten any responses - I'm not sure, but I'd guess that everyone on here is concerned about you doing your first brisket on Christmas Eve - my advice, which maybe isn't worth much is - don't --- briskets, IMHO, are the most difficult thing to cook on a BGE - especially without practice - I don't waste my time anymore - some come out great, others - not so much - I've gone to doing brisket in my slow cooker - I just wouldn't ever subject my Christmas Eve dinner to something I'd never cooked before - particularly a brisket on a BGE - 
  • grillwell
    Options
    I agree that there is risk here, but I have cred with the group that I'm feeding.  The rest of the meal will ensure no one goes hungry if I have a disaster.  Even a modest outcome should be a hit with this crowd.  Thanks for the word of caution though.  I'll be as prepared as I can.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    That is one big point are you sure its not a packer brisket point and flat.

I would plan on 15 to 18 hours at 225f.

You should rest the brisket for an hour.

You can wrap in butchers paper during the cook once you have the bark you like. Once in the cooler if your brisket is in butchers paper then just cover with some towels. If the brisket is naked the drape some foil on it and cover with towels.

Do you have electronics to measure grid temp? If not then just go by dome. 225f and 275f will make a difference in cooking times.

Points have lots of fat to render. I would still cook it after it probes tender for my liking, thats just me.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I've found 265 to be the best temp for brisket. It speeds up he cooking process and tends to make for a more moist finished product. I'd also keep it wrapped until time to slice. Hope you hit a home run with it. Good luck and Merry Christmas. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • grillwell
    Options
    It does sound like a big point. Especially after seeing whats available locally.  I'll see for myself on Monday at Metzger's. 

I'm looking at the electronics available and like the iGrill2 which will allow me up to 4 probes.  Not cheap though. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Don't know how this thread got missed-
    Regarding your questions? Optimum rest time-if you are incredibly lucky and your brisket hits the finish-line around 20-30 minutes before you are ready to slice on demand and eat then I would consider that optimum.  Reality is once you pull the brisket off, let it stand for around 20 minutes or so to stop the carry-over cooking and then FTC for as long as you need til time to serve.

Butcher's paper wrap- as above, wrap, in paper, foil or nekked as the bark and cook progress dictate.  Franklin has a video that addresses all three.
    Transport while FTC is not an issue.

The 1 hr/lb is what you will get at around 260-280*F.  Below those temps the time/lb goes up.  BGE's have a sweet sport somewhere in the 240-260*F range.  
    Dome vs grid temp- pick one (I go with dome as all BGE's have that indicator) and learn how your cooks go with it.  Just make sure whatever you are driving the cook with is calibrated.

Misc:  You do not need to rush out and buy a controller for this cook but you can.  It is good practice to learn the BGE L&S in the manual mode in case the electronics bite the bullet.  If you get the temp stable for a good hour before adding the protein you will be just fine.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I will piggyback.  I am making my first for NYE.  Do you raise the grid at all for brisket?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Brisket cooks are indirect-so the grid is above the heat-deflector but that is the extent of it.  I guess you could go high indirect if you desired.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • grillwell
    Options
    Thanks lousubcap.  The plan is coming together.  I have watched the Franklin videos a few times now and am starting to feel a good result is in my future. 

I'm having trouble locating chunk vs chips in time for this cook.  How would you manage if chips are the only option?
  • lousubcap
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Smoke wood is smoke wood. Equal volume of chips or chunks-no difference.  If all you have are chips, then I would disperse the volume of around three handfuls throughout the lump load and all will be well.  
    FYI-the preferred (on this forum at least) smoke wood is some variety ( can't recall the adjective) of Texas oak-nowhere to be found where I am so I use Jack Daniel's Oak barrel chips or chunks.  It will all work out.  Enjoy the cook-
  • grillwell
    Options
    We'll some good news. I found some chunk hickory to go with the whiskey oak chips for the smoke elements and I picked up a 12 lb Kobe beef brisket from a restaurant contact. Now there is real pressure not to screw up. Pics to follow when the cook begins.  
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Great score-just go til the thickest part of the flat probes like buttah and you are there.  Pay no attention to what is happening with the point.  It is just along for the ride.  Enjoy the cook and eats.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @grillwell   Welcome to the forum.  Sorry your post got ignored.

Like you, I watched Franklin's brisket series many times and tried to copy.  Touch wood, I have been very pleased with the outcomes so far.

I wrap, if you can't find untreated butcher paper on short notice, you can use masking tape and tape up a bunch of grocery sacks.

Kobe brisket for your first one?  Swinging large my friend, lol.  

Phoenix 
  • outdoorsmin
    outdoorsmin Posts: 58
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have never done a brisket but have always wanted to. Looking forward to seeing how yours comes out. Hopefully you knock it out of the park!
  • grillwell
    Options
    Brisket is on at 5:00am and the dome temp is steady at 275 and the grill temp is at 240 and moving up.  So far so good.  Outside temp is at 55 deg thanks to a warm breeze from the south.  Thanks guys!
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    You're headed in the right direction.   Stay patient and good luck! 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• grillwell
    Options
    Grill temp has been a steady 245-255 and the flat has stalled and creeping up from 160 to 170 in the last 1.5 hours.  Bark is coming slowly.  So far so good.
  • grillwell
    Options
    Well this turned out well.  Brisket has been declared our families new traditional Xmas eve dinner.  The cook ended up taking just 10 hours to finish at 203 internal.  I ended up holding it FTC a little longer than ideal but it did not stop the family from feasting.  When the younger grand kids are looking for seconds you know its done right.  Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for all the help in getting this thing organized.  I had a blast.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Congrats on the cook and results. When the family approves (especially grand-kids) you have hit a grand slam home run.  Enjoy and remember all you did right :)  No pressure for the next one. ;)
    Merry Christmas-
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Glade to see your cook went well.  One thing for your next cook if it finishes to early.  Let it rest on the counter until your brisket starts to drop in temp, then wrap it put in on a tray and in the oven on like 160 and it will hold for upto 8 hrs with no issues. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• TImLeVigne
    Options
    grillwell said:
    I have finished my 3 year shopping expedition and now have my LBGE.  My first RS on Rib Steaks went well as did other small cooks.  Now I'm going nuts for Xmas Eve.  I've contacted a local butcher recommended from this group and will be picking up a 12-14 lb Point only, no flat, early next week.  I have a prep and cook plan based on several threads on brisket over the last few weeks.  Thanks by the way. 
    My questions are;
    1.  Is there an optimum rest time once you've probed like buddah?
    2.  Do I wrap in butchers paper or just let it stand?
    3.  I have to transport it from cook site to dinner site, about 20min.  Can I keep it wrapped in a cooler until it's time to eat and carve as the line forms?
    4.  Does the fact it's just the Point change the 1 hour per pound estimate on cooking time at 225 - 275.
    5.  Is there much of a difference in temp from the dome thermometer to the grill temp for L&S? Should I care?

I'll take plenty of pics the day of.  Texas Brisket in London, Ontario. Can't wait!

• TImLeVigne
    Options
    Hope it turned out!
    i did a flat on Christmas day, cooked at 225 for 5 hours, took it off and wrapped in tin foil, added a half cup of black coffee, returned to the egg for 2 hours, took it off when it reached 201. Wrapped in a towell and put it in a dry cooler for 2 hours
    AMAZING
    rub with S&P, some rib rub and finished with montreal seasoning, next time i will use less pepper, other wise wonderfull!!

• grillwell
    Options
    Nice looking slab!  I went basic S&P for my rub first time but i might switch to coffee for my spray next time.  Good idea.  Mine past the pull test nicely as well.