Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili and cast iron

Since the weather has gone cold, I've been craving chili. I recently purchased a new Lodge cast iron dutch oven for the job. My concern is that the literature that came with it says to avoid cooking acidic foods until the oven is "well seasoned". What's your opinion on what "well seasoned" means? I'd prefer not to damage the oven or make crappy chili. Thoughts?
Indianapolis, IN

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    You're not going to hurt it.  If necessary, just reseason.

rub it lightly with vegetable oil, bake in the oven at 350*, done 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    As long as you have a good, even seasoning with no thin patches, cooking shouldn't be an issue. Just don't let it sit in the pot too long after cooking.
  • orbbq
    orbbq Posts: 39
    no way you'll damage it, if anything you'll just need to season again.  I use flax oil, it has a higher flashpoint for seasoning, the trick is to do thin coats and then bake the hell out of it.  If i don't mind smoke in the house, i do 550 in the oven for 90 minutes, turn it off and let it cool inside, repeat 3-4 times and it gets a good black season on it.  If the house can't be aired out, i'll do it on the gasser bbq and keep the smell outside.

I made some killer chilli on the egg using some pulled pork left overs.  Left the lid off the dutch oven for most of the cook time, added some peach wood, and opened the egg to stir every 15 minutes or so, picked up a nice smokey taste.
    BGE XL in the Pacific NW
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    By the time you brown all your meats...you'll generate plenty of extra protection.....GL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,851
    orbbq said:

I made some killer chilli on the egg using some pulled pork left overs.  Left the lid off the dutch oven for most of the cook time, added some peach wood, and opened the egg to stir every 15 minutes or so, picked up a nice smokey taste.

I know what you meant, but I had to chuckle at the thought of you adding peach wood to your chili.
    NOLA
  • With my CI pans and have always taken them outside on the gas grill and fried up a few rounds of bacon in them. I repeat this often ;-)  ... seasoning and re-seasoning them perfectly.

I'm new to BGE ... but looking forward to incorporating cast-iron into the arsenal asap.

Deadhead gone Egghead
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    orbbq said:
     I use flax oil, it has a higher flash point for seasoning, 
    I have found that Un-refined flax seed oil (It will be in the refrigerated section) is one of the best oils to season with. The reason being is has a smoke point at about 225 degrees. To season anything is the process of going past the smoke point to allow the oil to polymerize. Basically creating a non stick surface. After 6-10 applications of very, very thin coats it should be coming in to a nice, smooth non-stick.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • I browned the meat in the DO then added everything else the first go with it. Have made lots of chili in it never had a problem. Lid off every time picks up a nice smokey flavor. Enjoy your cast iron!
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,206
    i use lard for the seasoning in the oven with the pot upsidown, 3 coats.  i dont like acidic recipes with cast iron that take more than 2 to 3 hours max, if it takes longer than that i can taste the iron (this doesnt seem to happen to all people taste wise but i get a strong metallic taste from it). all day chili cooks i go with the enameled cast and being lazy i can store it in the cast in the fridge for days in that pot or just leave it stove top =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    In my opinion cast iron and chili were made for each other. It's really not an issue unless you leave it in the pot overnight in the refrigerator. Make the chili, and after serving dinner transfer it to storage containers. Clean and store the pot. Then make chili again, when the first batch is depleted.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I have a brand new DO, still in the box. I am gonna use it next week to make baked beans. Can I season once, then use it or do I need to season it a couple times?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.