Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston Butt

Options
2»

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

fwiw, many times I've had to make an alternate dinner due to a low and slow not being finished on time.  Now I plan for a 3 hour cooler rest built in as a cushion.

Phoenix 
  • egghead43
    Options
    blasting said:

fwiw, many times I've had to make an alternate dinner due to a low and slow not being finished on time.  Now I plan for a 3 hour cooler rest built in as a cushion.

I was naive I guess.  It's just under 4 pounds so I thought 7-7.5 hours would be plenty of time.  I've cranked the heat up so it's at 333 and the internal temp is at 171.  I'll definitely plan for more time next time.  If this does get to temp quickly there sure won't be any "rest time".
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Rest with a butt is not that important.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • egghead43
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Rest with a butt is not that important.

Thanks!  Since I cranked the temp up to close to 350 the internal temp is rising pretty fast.  It's 176 right now.  I won't rush it like this next time and will plan for way more time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It'll come up quickly now.  Relax and enjoy a great meal!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • egghead43
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    It'll come up quickly now.  Relax and enjoy a great meal!

Thanks!  Yeah, it's come up 7 degrees in about 20 minutes.  The grate temp won't get above 350 (currently 338).  I will say I have no idea how I would do this without the Maverick ET-733!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,572
    Options
    No surprises with what you are experiencing...lesson learned...but it will be a banquet when finished.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • egghead43
    Options
    It came up to 195 right at 8 hours.  It could have been slightly more tender, so I'll allow for more time on the next cook.  However, it was pretty outstanding. Generally I don't like stuff I cook very much, but it might be some of the best pork I've ever had!  Loving it!