Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mixing up Mickey's coffee rub

Options
Getting ready to mix up my first batch.
Are the parts in weight or volume?

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I don't know myself. I'm only too sure if you put in 'Mickey's Coffee Rub' in the above search box, it'll pop up.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    From what I can find it appears to be by dry measure..

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup salt 
    1/2 cup brown sugar 
    1/2 cup ancho-chili powder 
    1/2 cup expresso ground (very fine) Coffee. (Has red,yellow & green label)
    1/4 cup garlic powder 
    1/4 cup ground black pepper
    Alternate:
    Exchange Sugar in the Raw for the brown sugar.  I have found it gives a totally different flavor profile.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
      Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I mixed up a batch before Thanksgiving as I love this rub on turkey and use maple for smoke. This combination of flavors is really nice. I did it a little bit different this time - I left out the salt. That allowed me to dry brine the bird overnight and then put on the coffee rub an hour or so before cooking it. Worked very well and kept it from getting overly salty. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    It's good stuff.  Just finished a batch Wednesday night and set to mix up some new this weekend.  Enjoy!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA