Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this fish basket any good?

acegg77
acegg77 Posts: 120
Doctor says she wants me to eat more fish and less beef.

Wife does not like fish (except salmon... which we cook on foil on the BGE... excellent.) 

If I season and BBQ some nondescript flat white fish filets (i.e. scrod) I think she will like it. I'm told the best way is to use a basket.

I need a fish basket but don't want to spend $50 on the BGE model. Is this one OK? Is it hard to turn since it does not have a handle:

http://amzn.to/1XsmVUN

Only two of us so we don't need a large basket. 

Are these a nightmare to clean with fish sticking to it?

Is there some other basket you recommend we get?

Thanks, as always.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Should be fine.  Put it in the dishwasher.
    Thanks. Wife (of 35 years) says she will give it a try, so long as she does not have to clean the fish... or the basket! I love fish, but I love wife more... which is why we don't eat it at home. Maybe now we can. Also, doctor's orders!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    for haddock, cod, flounder,or pollock its either cooked en papillote or in a casserole dish or pan baked. most markets here carry a seafood ritz cracker stuffing for baking, google has lots of recipes but the fish market versions are loaded up with crab lobster clams etc to get rid of some waste. i dont think ive ever used a basket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Delicate fish I usually broil.
    Delicate fish I usually broil.
    minimalist here, no broiler or dishwasher  =) but broiled cod was a staple when i was younger
    fukahwee maine

• acegg77
    Wife will not smell up "her house" with broiled fish!
  • fishlessman
    if your wife can get past red raw looking fish, hot seared tuna does not taste fishy at all, just dont cook it white
    fukahwee maine

• acegg77
    We might try tuna... fairly expensive though. I like it in sushi. Jane would rather eat a bug!
  • fishlessman
    acegg77 said:
    We might try tuna... fairly expensive though. I like it in sushi. Jane would rather eat a bug!
    for some reason the prices dropped big time around me, it was cheaper than the cod 2 weeks ago
    fukahwee maine

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I am not a fan of fish baskets.  They are a pain to clean and are not needed for most cooks.  If you are stuffing a whole fish that needs to be flipped during cooking, then a basket is useful.  For cooking filets, I don't see the need.  For trying to get someone to like more fish, I would stay with filets for now and save the whole fish preparations for later. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.