Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(cross post) What to do with 2 9lbs pork butts

Options
To make a long story short, today, on an innocuous drive back to Minneapolis from my parents in Wisconsin,  I came across a butcher shop and stopped in to see what they had.   Well,  now I'm in possession of two (2)  9+ lbs fresh pork butts.  (among other things).  I'm hosting a tailgate this weekend on my deck with my LBGE  (and weber kettle, if so needed to toast buns, etc), for about 6 people.   Obviously, I don't need 19 lbs of pulled pork.    This is where I need your input:   I want to put out a tailgate spread to make the (insert family-friendly synonym for Viking fans) jealous and show them what a tailgate is all about.    

Thoughts?   Oh, and I'll want a couple of apps too  (in addition to the ABTs)...  

Thanks!!
Is it done yet? Is it done yet?

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited November 2015
    Options
    What times the party at? =) Go Vikes! Pork burnt ends are rediculously awesome!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    First your butts will shrink and you will get between 40% and 60% shrinkage and weight loss if it is a bone in butt. That said, even big eaters are normally good for about a half pound of yielded meat. If ladies, they will dink around with about 4 ounces. That said, if there is 6 people that would translate into about a 3lb yielded need. Bottom line, cooking two will give you more than enough to fill everyone's belly, send them home with some..... and have some  for another meal or two. 

In my opinion, if serving pulled pork, you have to have coleslaw and pickle chips (dill and sweet). If the slaw is more effort than you want to make.....you can't beat Chick-fil-a slaw.

Sounds like you have some work to do and some apps to come up with. Not to worry, there will be quite a few suggestions offered up. That are my thoughts......which may be of absolute no help to you. Enjoy the cook.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Definitely pork burnt ends. Abts. are a great call.  +1 on what @northGAcock says.  Add to, bacon potato salad and something sweet for the finish.  Good luck brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lemonade
    Options
    Thanks north for the math of the yield!   Yes, a slaw is mandatory, (I do vinegar vs mayo since I'm not a mayo guy). 

For those saying burnt ends - with a butt?  I thought ends were a rib thing?  
    Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited November 2015
    Options
    lemonade said:
    Thanks north for the math of the yield!   Yes, a slaw is mandatory, (I do vinegar vs mayo since I'm not a mayo guy). 

For those saying burnt ends - with a butt?  I thought ends were a rib thing?  
    Burnt ends are typically done with the brisket point. Pork burnt ends can be done with the same concept as brisket burnt ends. If you type "pork burnt ends" into the forum you will get all kinds of posts and directions. Good stuff!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    I made some killer baked beans using leftover pulled pork.. That could be a side option..pulled pork tacos.. Nachos... Etc Etc
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • kwdickert
    Options
    take some pulled pork and press into a few quesadillas with cheese and bbq sauce. it kills here locally at tailgates. 
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg