Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big green egg pricing any good?

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    1,299 for the XL package is an excellent deal. I paid 1,688 for my XL with nest, plate setter, a tiered rack, and remote thermometer. I might have been ripped off.
    Geographly speaking Western Washington is a far piece from Atlanta, Ga from where your egg was transported. That in itself would explain your added cost.
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    FWIW, my wife bought my XL for my birthday (August 2015).  There was a sale going on so she got it for $849.  It included the platesetter, grate lifter, table nest and a 20lb bag of lump. Delivery and assembly were included.

I went back and bought a Medium myself.  They sold it to me for $529 and it also included the plate setter.  They delivered both at the same time, did the assembly and put them in my table.

I live in Florida just for reference.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • burnithot
    Options
    Not sure what  part of the country your in but I seen where BBQ galore would beat any one and if you showed them a quote they would give you that price pulse take 20 percent off of that 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,361
    Options
    Offer $3K and see if he bites.

That said, I think those prices aren't too bad. In my area an XL normally goes for $1099 by itself. They'll sell an Eggfest XL with nest for $999.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm biased as a dealer, but if you beat him up too much you won't have many dealers around. You have to sell a lot of eggs to justify the retail space. Guy needs to make a buck. Deal sounds about right to me. I say build a relationship. Relationships pay off in the long run. Enjoy the eggs!
  • RRP
    Options
    I'm biased as a dealer, but if you beat him up too much you won't have many dealers around. You have to sell a lot of eggs to justify the retail space. Guy needs to make a buck. Deal sounds about right to me. I say build a relationship. Relationships pay off in the long run. Enjoy the eggs!
    I hear you and understand, but the town Fairbury where that dealer is located has a population of 4K. I have to wonder how often he has a potential sale for that much merchandise to one person. That's why I still think there should be a relationship bridge that goes both ways.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RRP said:
    I hear you and understand, but the town Fairbury where that dealer is located has a population of 4K. I have to wonder how often he has a potential sale for that much merchandise to one person. That's why I still think there should be a relationship bridge that goes both ways.
    Sure it's nice to sell multiple eggs to one customer, but it's really irrelevant. There is a margin and every dollar off eats into his margin. He had to buy the eggs and will likely have to order new ones to replace them. He pays overhead and shipping etc. it's not a great deal, but it's not a bad deal either. I would just remind  you that the margins in this business are not like some other businesses. I won't hold his particular circumstances against him. All the more reason he needs to make profitable sales, he's not doing Walmart volume. Hey, just my biased opinion Ron. No hard feelings. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Hey, just my biased opinion Ron. No hard feelings. 
    None felt, nor sent! Hey, my working career was spent as a controller, CFO and treasurer so I am well aware of margins and profit. At this point I'm backing out of this thread with good wishes to @bigchef1995 in hope he buys and joins us here!
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Last week I picked up a BGE mini max from a place down here in St Petersburg for $525, and he threw in a handful of extras with it (starters, drink koozies, etc, nothing expensive).  That was brand new in the box, nothing defective, dropped, etc.  That's $75 under MSRP on a mini max.  He wouldn't have sold it for that price if he was losing money on it. 

Your dealer ought to be able to come down a minimum of 10% and still turn a decent profit on the transaction.  Especially if you're buying 2 XLs.
    I'm in st petersburg fl too. Was it at the pench a penny store?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,224
    Options
    You might want to consider skipping the package and just buy the egg and nest. Call Ceramic Grill Store for the rest of your stuff.  
  • bigchef1995
    Options
    Called around to quite a few dealers and this quote was $200 cheaper than the best deal I was given. Made the deal along with quite a few other accessories he threw in and ones I bought at a very good price. They will be delivered to store in two weeks, can't wait!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good call brother!  Too much over- thinking!  You won't regret it for one second!  Can't wait to see your cooks!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bigchef1995
    Options

RRP said:
    For being in such a small town he serves a big rural community. He has 10+ of each size in Stock. Great family owned grocery store 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Called around to quite a few dealers and this quote was $200 cheaper than the best deal I was given.
    Not surprised. That deal would be hard to beat in my area. The dealers here are MSRP. 8 years ago there were just a handful of dealers. Now there are several dozen. More competition does not mean anything here. Getting a platesetter thrown in is about the best a dealer will do.
  • Richngreen
    Options
    I'm a dealer. Very fair pricing. I wouldn't price that cheap