Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Looking for a table--not handy enough to build my own

I found a guy who makes them in pretty much any size and configuration but I don't know a reasonable price. Cypress seems to be his material of choice. Any better options?  Granite tops--yeah or nea?  Here is his web site.  http://www.miterboxcustoms.com/custom-big-green-egg-tables.html  I am in Florida and he's in Georgia but he says he ships.  Anyone used him? Any ideas?  Prices seem to range from a couple hundred (small) to a couple thousand will all the bells and whistles added.  Any input would be helpful.

Comments

  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 2,026
    If you are thinking about spending that kind of jack on a table I'd look at a Challenger metal table...your dealer may have info on them...otherwise, interwebs.
  • rmdrmd Posts: 4
    I leave on salt water and have not found a metal that won't rust.
  • rmdrmd Posts: 4
    Can't type well--I live on salt water and have not found a metal that won't rust.
  • Challenger are Aluminum.  Just watch out for Bug Spray!!!!!!!!!

    Search the forum for why.....  Apparently bug spray and paint/powdercoat don't dance...

    LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

    Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 13,854
    @Tspud1 can assist you. 
  • Tspud1Tspud1 Posts: 1,083
    Salt water? No problem
  • Tspud1Tspud1 Posts: 1,083
    I can see Seattle from here
  • Tspud1Tspud1 Posts: 1,083
    Or is it here?
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 2,026
    Great looking rig Tspud
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 17,216
    edited November 2015
    SS is your answer. For real. Mine has no issue w/ corrosion. 

    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tspud1Tspud1 Posts: 1,083
    Make sure it's Type 304, magnet won't stick. If it does, don't buy it

  • I have never built anything and went out and built a perfect egg table for a total cost of $150.  It is not hard
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 17,216
    @etherdome I could be wrong but, I got the impression they're looking for a table built for longevity at a coastal location. And w/ the link given I'd venture to say going with a high grade SS would be better suited. Then again maybe I'm completely off base. What say you @rmd ?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Steve753Steve753 Posts: 140
    I got mine from JJ George. It came in four pieces (heavy wood) and was easy to put together. It's very well constructed, and cross braced.
    http://www.jjgeorgestore.com/big-green-egg-tables/


    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

    San Diego, Ca
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 13,854
    Tspud1 said:
    Make sure it's Type 304, magnet won't stick. If it does, don't buy it

    Solid advice here. 400 series stainless will rust and a magnet will stick to it. 
  • BeggerBegger Posts: 525
    Tspud1 said:
    Salt water? No problem
    I've demonstrated cutting a stainless rod or bolt in half using just saltwater.  Half in / half out.    Electrolosis gets it done.  

    I know of ONE alloy, H1 by name, which you can BURY in saltwater / sand and it'll be untouched in a year.  A wonderful KNIFE STEEL.   I see a few in the Spyderco line.  
    http://theskinnyonbenny.com/blog2/archives/94
  • Tspud1Tspud1 Posts: 1,083
    Begger said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Salt water? No problem
    I've demonstrated cutting a stainless rod or bolt in half using just saltwater.  Half in / half out.    Electrolosis gets it done.  

    I know of ONE alloy, H1 by name, which you can BURY in saltwater / sand and it'll be untouched in a year.  A wonderful KNIFE STEEL.   I see a few in the Spyderco line.  
    http://theskinnyonbenny.com/blog2/archives/94
    Something that no one would do to their table. 
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 5,582
    Here's an option that never gets mentioned:

    Visit a local Vo-Tech or high school shop class and arrange to have them build one as a class project. You supply all the materials and design elements and they build and finish it. Then you buy pizza for everyone when you pick it up (or when they deliver it and help you set your egg on it).

    Camped out in the (757/804)
  • sloveladslovelad Posts: 1,741
    HeavyG said:
    Here's an option that never gets mentioned:

    Visit a local Vo-Tech or high school shop class and arrange to have them build one as a class project. You supply all the materials and design elements and they build and finish it. Then you buy pizza for everyone when you pick it up (or when they deliver it and help you set your egg on it).

    Sounds like you hVe done this before?
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 5,582
    slovelad said:
    HeavyG said:
    Here's an option that never gets mentioned:

    Visit a local Vo-Tech or high school shop class and arrange to have them build one as a class project. You supply all the materials and design elements and they build and finish it. Then you buy pizza for everyone when you pick it up (or when they deliver it and help you set your egg on it).

    Sounds like you hVe done this before?
    Not me personally but I know a couple people that have worked with our Vo-Tech school to have things constructed.
    Camped out in the (757/804)
  • Steve753 said:
    I got mine from JJ George. It came in four pieces (heavy wood) and was easy to put together. It's very well constructed, and cross braced.
    http://www.jjgeorgestore.com/big-green-egg-tables/


    How do you like the JJ George table?
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.