Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My biggest brisket ever

mrw123
mrw123 Posts: 202
 19.5# untrimmed.  By far the thickest point I've ever seen. This thing is beautiful. Squared off, thick flat, nice even fat cap. Boy do I hope I don't mess this up. 

It's a special delivery for a couple friends. Should be enough for a small army though.

Temp is stabilized at 275, thin blue smoke. 

Time for bourbon.

Comments

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Wow that is a nice uniform looking piece of meat. I see its choice, mind sharing the price per pound?

Any updates? Would love to know how long it cooked and finished pics.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    That's a thing of beauty.  Look forward to the finished product.  Thanks for sharing.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • mrw123
    feef706 said:
    Wow that is a nice uniform looking piece of meat. I see its choice, mind sharing the price per pound?

Any updates? Would love to know how long it cooked and finished pics.
    I only eat kosher meat, so my costs are usually much higher than most. This one was on sale though. $6 per pound. Believe it or not, that was a bargain! 

I think I trimmed about two pounds of fat off (probably more than that). I was expecting around 1 hour per pound, but after 9 1/2 hours, it felt like a full water balloon, probed like butter and was around 195-200 so I wrapped it to rest. I couldn't believe it cooked so fast.

Looks and smells good! 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Looks fantastic. How did it slice up? Happy recipients I'm sure :smiley: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Man that is a big briskey.  Not to trying to 1up...but I saw a 20lber at Sam's last night.  It intimidated me and I went with a 14 lb.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Love to see some sliced pics! Nice work!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • mrw123

Turned out great! I meant to get a picture of the chopped too, but got caught up in getting everything ready for delivery. I had a bunch because the brisket was so big a bunch was hanging directly over the coals.

I kept some of the point for burnt ends. They were already 'melt in your mouth', but I tossed them with 'melting garlic' and threw them on for another 45 minutes anyway. Turned out crazy good.

Everything is vacuum sealed. Now I just need my friends to get home so I can deliver. 

And now I need to find another brisket like this for myself! I want a point the exact same size and shape.....
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited November 2015
    @SmokeyPitt what's the price per pound at Sams? Been thinking about joining there.

The brisket and burnt ends look great.
  • SmokeyPitt
    Lit said:
    @SmokeyPitt what's the price per pound at Sams? Been thinking about joining there.
    @Lit it was $2.69 a lb at the Woodstock location that just opened.  We joined a couple of months ago and I was going to Alpharetta and I think it was just over $3 a lb.  It was the same brisket at both locations: Excel brand choice grade Angus. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    @mrw123 the finished Brisket looks amazing.  Nice job! 

• Wow.  Absolutely mouthwatering!!!!  Bravo!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,426
    Wow, can I be your BFF???  Nice job on that one.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,210
    I'm home now, when can I expect you? =)

Looks awesome!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    That is one huge brisket!  Nice find.  Your end results look delicious, I want a brisket snack now...
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    120 dollar piece of meat, I mean I love being a fatboy and pigging out, but I would be so hesitant to eat too much at that price lol

It looks absolutely fantastic though, and I know you get what you pay for with meat! 

• mrw123
    slovelad said:
    120 dollar piece of meat, I mean I love being a fatboy and pigging out, but I would be so hesitant to eat too much at that price lol

It looks absolutely fantastic though, and I know you get what you pay for with meat! 

I hear you! I have a hard time spending money like that on myself (unless it's bourbon). But for family and friends I just go for it.  As much as I love eating my cooking, I think I love sharing the food even more.

There's something about putting in the effort and then seeing the smiles. Totally worth it.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    If you have a restaurant depot near you you can get a KCBS membership for a year for like $30 and that gets you into RD. The one buy me has halal briskest for around $3 a lb last time I got one. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,520
    Most excellent cook and results.  Congrats all the way around.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.