Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stall issue while smoking a turkey breast

Options
tgs2401
tgs2401 Posts: 423
Hi all,

I ran an experiment ahead of Thanksgiving last night and the turkey breast came out terrific but I encountered a stall and had problems getting the breast to come up to 165 degrees. I smoked it a 235-250 degrees with the plate setter legs up, drip pan with chicken broth, water, and orange vodka directly on plate setter. Breast directly on grid. Maverick remote thermometer set up. Everything progressed as expected but at 160 degrees, it stalled and would not climb. I ended up adding lump to the fire and bringing the temperature at the grid up to 400 degrees and after about 20 minutes, finally hit the mark. It was only a 5 lb breast and I'm worried about the lump getting so low during a three to four hour low temp smoke. How are you guys smoking all day? Are you pulling everything off and adding lump? Also, was that the correct way to get through a stall?

5.15 lb turkey breast, brined for 24 hours
Plate setter, legs up with drip pan direct full of liquid
Breast on grid above drip pan
Maverick ET-732 Thermometer set up (Temp at grid 235-250)
Fire box loaded to top with lump and some cherry wood.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
One large BGE in Louisville, KY.

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I generally cook Raised Direct (grid at felt line or higher) @ 400 F for poultry.  
    Brine generally only effects the crispness of the skin.  
    Spatchcock to eliminate the insulating properties of the birds cavity, which greatly reduces cook time.

Chicken is cooked between 50-70 minutes.  (5-8 lb)
    Turkey generally 2 hours give or take. (15-17 lb)
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    I did a low and slow breast once and was disappointed. I cook to 160 and even at that temp that bird was dry-ish. Asked for advice here and was advised by more than one that there's not enough fat in a breast for the low and slow to be a good approach. 
    Saturday I cooked a brined breast between 320 and 350, indirect. Smoke wood: mulberry. Jumped from 160 to 162 by the time i could get it in. It was outstanding. 
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • tgs2401
    Options
    I can't complain about the breast being dry, in fact it was very, very moist and the smoked flavor was great. I've been doing some more research and have found many posts regarding poultry should be cooked at a minimum of 325 degrees for safety but then I have also found lots of recipes and post recommending the low and slow method.......
  • lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Options
    How long would you guys expect a 10# bone in breast to take at 325-350?
  • tgs2401
    Options
    See attached chart from BGE. I doubt it makes a difference when comparing a bone in breast to a full turkey. Should get you close.