Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stocking you outdoor kitchen......some questions......

Options
First, I live in Columbia SC where it is extremly humid. I am finishing an outdoor kitchen and beginning to think about stocking the drawers and storage cabinets etc......I have drawers of course for the utensels, and storage for platters and lump. I will have some work space for food prep, and wish to store some rubs and liquids. Given the humidity, are there any best practiceses used out there to maintain freshness and integrity of these items?
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Keep them in a mini fridge 
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    I live in Central Florida and know what you mean about heat and humidity.

I store rubs, electronics and such in a style of plastic comtainer that I found at Wally World.  They have between 4 and 6 locking clasps, depending on the size and a foam rubber ring that seals the lid.  The rubs have been stored in my outdoor kitchen since I got the Eggs back in August.

Never opened any rub jar that had seen any moisture yet.

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Sonny3 said:

I store rubs, electronics and such in a style of plastic comtainer that I found at Wally World.  They have between 4 and 6 locking clasps, depending on the size and a foam rubber ring that seals the lid.  The rubs have been stored in my outdoor kitchen since I got the Eggs back in August.

@Sonny3  Thanks.....just the info I am looking for. Any chance you could shoot me a picture of it some time? No rush. Thanks in advance.

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    @northGAcock , here you go.

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Brother, based on our ridiculously wet weather, I'd recommend table pontoons and life jackets.  This has been crazy.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I keep my rubs inside since that's where I do most prep. Take what I need outside when it's needed. Spices will stay better in cold temps so anything I'm not using for a long time gets sealed in bags and stuck in the freezer.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Brother, based on our ridiculously wet weather, I'd recommend table pontoons and life jackets.  This has been crazy.
    You can say that again. Worst of all, my dogs don't want to go out either. I think they are about t8 pop.

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Sonny3 said:

Is there a brand name on those containers? Looking for something mouse proof.
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Sonny3 said:

Is there a brand name on those containers? Looking for something mouse proof.
    Those are Ziploc WeatherShield Storage Boxes - you can find them on Amazon too. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker