Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Restaurant Depot St. Louis ribs cook - pic heavy

Options
JethroVA
JethroVA Posts: 1,251
edited November 2015 in Pork
Bought 11.6 lbs of St. Louis from RD @ $2.94 a lb.  Very nice ribs.  Each pack holds two racks. By comparison Food Lion had a sale this week at $2.99/lb.     Removed the silver skin and hit both sides with good coating of coffee rub. (one part each garlic, black pepper, salt, plus 2 parts each brown sugar, instant coffee, and ancho.) I like to use an old one-pound spice container as a shaker.  Works very well for that purpose. 
Here they are ready to go in fridge.  Left them in the fridge for 5 hours.  Forgot to take photo of the post-fridge but you could tell that the rub was being absorbed a bit.  I cut them in half for easier handling and foiling. I only have one rib rack so I ended up using my homemade raised grid (adds a second cooking tier) to handle this many

On at 250* for three hours bone side down.  Then I foiled with a little apple juice bone side up and sealed well in the foil.  Back on for one hour.  Then took out of foil and basted with Sweet Baby Ray's.  Back on for one hour.  Cranked the heat up to 300* to help caramelize the sauce.  Total 5 hours.  Results: family says awesome.  Nice smoke, great spice flavor without being too hot spicy for the wife and daughter.   
Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 

Comments

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    I'll go for some of that. 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Looks damn tasty, I actually putting on some RD St. Louis's this afternoon.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Is there any way to get in restaurant depo without owning a store ? I would love to go... But I heard you have to get a special membership 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks good, I like RD's ribs.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited November 2015
    Options

@slovelad the two ways I know to join RD are to have a business license for any business or to join an organization such as the Kansas City BBQ Society.  I am fortunate to have a good friend who owns a restaurant. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2015
    Options
    slovelad said:
    Is there any way to get in restaurant depo without owning a store ? I would love to go... But I heard you have to get a special membership 
    Join the Kansas City BBQ Society, costs $29 and you get access to RD.  They just opened an RD here and that's where I finally found the whole short ribs, but I'm not totally sold yet.  

This is a brand new store and don't have the same selection that the big ones back East do.  I'm not sure about the grading of their "Superior Angus Beef", but the short rib I got sure were delicious and found some good deals on butts for a $1.09 per lb.

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    logchief said:
    slovelad said:
    Join the Kansas City BBQ Society, costs $29 and you get access to RD.  They just opened an RD here and that's where I finally found the whole short ribs, but I'm not totally sold yet.  

This is a brand new store and don't have the same selection that the big ones back East do.  I'm not sure about the grading of their "Superior Angus Beef", but the short rib I got sure were delicious and found some good deals on butts for a $1.09 per lb.

Thanks! I will look into that, any other perks to being a member at RD?
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    The sight of those ribs are making me seriously consider joining RD. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    That looks great!  @JethroVA I didn't know we had a RD in RVA.  Do you have to be a member or something to shop there?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That looks great!  @JethroVA I didn't know we had a RD in RVA.  Do you have to be a member or something to shop there?
    Yes.  Easiest way is to join the Kansas City BBQ Assoc. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Kewl - thanks!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    I get decent meat here at local groceries, and the nearest RD store is about 60 miles away. Is the quality/price good enough to justify $30 and the distance?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

good looking ribs!

@slovelad @mosca RD is fun to check out but the only reasons I can see for going regularly would be: 1. they carry whole packer briskets and 2. if you cook for big groups and need big quantities of cheap meat.

it's also a good place to stock up and cooking utensil basics, and they have butcher paper if you want to paper wrap a brisket.

if you go, bring a coat.  meat and cheese and stuff is in a huge cooler room.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    Ok, looked at the KCBBQ Assoc site and this is the wording.  
    • One-day shopping pass at any Restaurant Depot location when you present your KCBS membership card.
    is that a one time thing or does that mean, you just show up at RD and present your card and you get in?
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    • One-day shopping pass at any Restaurant Depot location when you present your KCBS membership card.
    is that a one time thing or does that mean, you just show up at RD and present your card and you get in?
    It's usable as often as you want.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    tfhanson said:
    It's usable as often as you want.
    Thanks.  Can you get full packers there?
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff