Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer

Options
Help needed! I entered in a lottery to win a chance at some good beer and lucky me I was picked as a winner.  I was able to pick up three bottles of Black Tuesday from The Brewery.  I have been told to drink one bottle when I get them in, one at one year and the other in two years.  

Should I just store these in my home fridge or should I lower the temp in my wine fridge and kick out some of my wife's wine? The wine fridge only goes down to 55 degrees.  I would rather just keep it in the home fridge but the suggested temps for storing is 50-56 degrees.  I would presume the temps in the home fridge are in the 40's most of the day.  

SO is it better to keep colder or a bit warmer in a wine fridge?  

Thanks 
Hermosa Beach CA 

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I keep beers in my wine fridge.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If your refrigerator is in the 40s you have a problem.  I would store with the wine. It'll probably age a bit faster.
    Options
    @nolaegghead @NPHuskerFL
    hahah what should it be? personally i have never check i just assumed... set it and forget it! 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Drink it... I have a philosophy. I'm not gonna die with good alcohol or cigars waiting. I damn sure don't want my bil getting them. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    32 to 39F. I keep mine between 32 and 33 in the coldest spot. Danger Will Robinson temp is >40.

Options
    @nolaegghead thanks I have never checked the actual temp before ... cold colder coldest kinda guy 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Those beers will be fine stored in the wine fridge.  They're also such a big, complex, beer that you could leave them in a dark corner of the basement as well.  One year there won't make a big difference.  Black Tuesday is a really good beer.  Congrats on the win.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I think you are suppose to drink all three with me. I'll be out in Cali in a couple of weeks. I can stop by.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
     @YEMTrey thanks man clearing space in the wine fridge now 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    Options
    @northGAcock anytime!
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Very Very FEW beers improve in bottle.   I can only think of ONE right off the bat, and it is a Belgian Ale style called either Kreik or Lambic.   

Lagers, of course, are BREWED cold, Lager is made with a special, cold temp yeast and brewed, generally, in the low 30s f.  
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I'd keep them in a dark basement, or just send them my way and I'll store them for you... =)
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    Begger said:
    Very Very FEW beers improve in bottle.   I can only think of ONE right off the bat, and it is a Belgian Ale style called either Kreik or Lambic.   

Lagers, of course, are BREWED cold, Lager is made with a special, cold temp yeast and brewed, generally, in the low 30s f.  
    He's talking about aging a beer for one year, maybe two.  A 15% + beer at that if I recall.
    I agree, long term aging doesn't work much for beers aside from lambics, gueuze, etc.  However, aging a high abv beer for a year or two can help in certain cases.  For example, I've had good success aging North Coast Old Stock Ale, Bell's Expedition, Rochefort 10, Pannepot, etc.  What get's most folks in trouble is thinking that anything will improve with age.   Cheers!
    Steve 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Is it a lager or an ale?

I've got some bourbon barrel porter than I brewed sitting in my hall closet. Coming up close to 2 years now. The longer it sits, the better its getting. I should never have opened any before a year old, but I was impatient. Time has allowed the bourbon and the oak to mellow. I was told when I made it that three years is the sweet spot, but I doubt I'll have any left by then. Need to get going on another batch.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Black Tuesday is an imperial stout that clocks in at 18-19% ABV (depending on the batch - I think this year's is at 19.9%).  It should be fine for aging.

@McStew    55º will be fine. Use the wine fridge.  The 35-38º your fridge should be at is too cold.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Is it a lager or an ale?

I've got some bourbon barrel porter than I brewed sitting in my hall closet. Coming up close to 2 years now. The longer it sits, the better its getting. I should never have opened any before a year old, but I was impatient. Time has allowed the bourbon and the oak to mellow. I was told when I made it that three years is the sweet spot, but I doubt I'll have any left by then. Need to get going on another batch.
    you have to hide these from yourself, then feel lucky a year down the road when you find one. =) pretty much the only way i could make them last
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • McStew
    Options
    @Griffin it is an Imperial Stout 19.9% 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    edited November 2015
    Options

http://http//www.thebruery.com/beer/black-tuesday/?category=tasting-room-only   
    Above is the link to what it is Im going to try my best to let these age over time.  I'm sure it wont be an easy road 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Good Lawd!  Let's not discuss "safe zone" temps I do that all day everyday. Beer should be kept cold in the cooler or out. That is until...

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I'm no expert but I don't see why you need to keep it cold to age it. Sounds similar to the one I did (but mine was only 9.7%) and its aged well sitting in a closet, but what do I know? If they suggest it you might want to do it. I think if you got it too cold (whatever temp that maybe, depends on the yeast) it wouldn't really age as it would stop the yeast from doing their bottle conditioning thing.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Different temperatures favor some chemical reactions and biological activity.  Lagers like to be cold fermented, for example.  Although there's not much biological activity in a high ABV aging for long times, there's still all kinds of chemical reactions. If you've left a few bottles of beer in a hot car for a couple of weeks, you'll get first hand feedback when you drink them some of the higher temp results - skunk.
    Options
     NPHuskerFL said:
    Good Lawd!  Let's not discuss "safe zone" temps I do that all day everyday. Beer should be kept cold in the cooler or out. That is until...

At $30.00 a bottle I'm trying to keep them like a nice bottle of wine.  Just trying to make sure I don't  F this one up.   HAHAHAH  

I will probably get drunk one night and just crack into them anyways and screw it all up.

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    imperial stout is perfect for aging. just went over twenty years for a case i made and bottled in 22oz (or so) bottles.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• McStew
    Options
    So I compromised with the wife and got my own wine fridge with a lower temperature range on Amazon today.  Problem solved 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @McStew Are you sure your problem is solved?  New wine fridge with two bottles of beer sounds like the wife has an opportunity to expand her wine collection!   =)
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• McStew
    Options
    @McStew Are you sure your problem is solved?  New wine fridge with two bottles of beer sounds like the wife has an opportunity to expand her wine collection!   =)
    yah I know I need to work fast and get it filled ASAP or it will be taken over ! 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited November 2015
    Options
    good luck with your brew.  it should age fine for at least a few years.  Just dug out the Imperial Stout, and the wife figures it is at least 22 years old.

going to give it a shot tonight.  no apparent ullage as they say.

i decided to let it go longer (although at the time that was only going to be a year or two) because the extra sugar was just a bit too much.  the recipe included molasses, and it seemed to be all i could taste at the time.

i was worried about secondary fermentation, or bacterial badness, but there doesn't seem to be any foolishness as yet.

EDIT: whole purpose of this follow up was to post the pic i just took, and yet i forgot to.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• YEMTrey
    Options
    Are they capped bottles?  It'll be interesting at that age to see if they were compromised and you see some rust around the cap and have an oxidized beer.  Good luck!
    Steve 

• McStew
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw let us know how it goes after you give it a try i'm interested to find out.  I have a couple of Firestone Parabola's that have been in the fridge from I think 2011.  I have these planned for Xmas this year 
    Hermosa Beach CA