Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig - where to start?

Options
Dizzy Pig seems to be the popular rub source among the BGE folk. 
What should I try first, where do I start?
It is very overwhelming with all the options.

Comments

• tazlittleking
    Options
    All purpose is great!
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    If you do allot of bbq style get dizzy dust. I personally like raging river (a lemon pepper style )
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I got the 7 pack. It's just so hard to choose 1.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Try the Pineapple Head as well   Probably my favorite DD
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • dinosaurjnr
    Options
    So basically buy a sampler pack and go from there. Or just splurge for a few different flavors.
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    So basically buy a sampler pack and go from there. Or just splurge for a few different flavors.

I agree completely. Another good buy would be Oakridges Sample pack while your at it.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    bo31210 said:
    Try the Pineapple Head as well   Probably my favorite DD

I am also a big fan of the pineapple head.
    NOLA
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Tsunami spin is one of my favorites for chicken.  Dizzy dust is a staple in the pantry as you can use it on just about anything.  I don't remember if Meat Church has a sampler pack or not but they're really good too
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I'm liking the Ghost and IPA a lot right now, I hope they become permanent. I have most of the other DP rubs in my cabinet and don't really use any other brand.
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    Start with Dizzy Dust and branch out from there, budget permitting.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The sampler pack is a great idea. I am a huge fan of raising the steaks, cow lick, raging river,and red eye. What I like most about the DP rubs is they offer so many flavor profiles which stray from the middle of the road rub. Great products by a great friend of the BGE community. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I make my own rub, but for general seasonings I like:  Raging River, Pineapple Head, Cow Lick, and Dizzy Dust.  Their Mediterranean and Fajita mixes are good too.
  • Buckeye79
    Options
    Recently bought Swamp Venom and Cow lick. Both are good. Swamp Venom is really good. Starting to put that stuff on everything  (pork, chicken, cowboy beans, etc.) Made a really good batch of Chili with the cow lick too.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    If I was limited to only say 4 choices they would be:
    Cow Lick
    Raging River
    Dizzy Dust - Coarse grind
    Swamp Venom

Dont get me wrong I also keep 7 other DP rubs on hand, but the four listed above are my favorites. If it really boiled down to only two then Raging River and Cow lick would be my MUST ALWAYS HAVE!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    RRP said:
    If I was limited to only say 4 choices they would be:
    Cow Lick
    Raging River
    Dizzy Dust - Coarse grind
    Swamp Venom

Dont get me wrong I also keep 7 other DP rubs on hand, but the four listed above are my favorites. If it really boiled down to only two then Raging River and Cow lick would be my MUST ALWAYS HAVE!

I agree ^^, but I'd substitute Shaking the Tree for Raging River in my top four.

Everybody raves about the pineapple head - can you guys share your applications.  I've tried it on veggies 2x and pineapple 1x.  So far I have not cared for it.

Phoenix 
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    An always family request is grilled whole kennel corn seasoned with Pineapple head. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Dizzy Dust coarse for Pork butt.  Tsunami Spin for Chicken,  Raging River for Salmon, Cowlick for steak.  Those are the workhorses! 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    BTW, shipping is outrageous through the dizzy pig website. If you want a deal and if you have amazon prime, you can find a much better deal @ Amazon. basically, same price for bottle and free 2 day shipping.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    apinion said:
    BTW, shipping is outrageous through the dizzy pig website. If you want a deal and if you have amazon prime, you can find a much better deal @ Amazon. basically, same price for bottle and free 2 day shipping.

I think rubs are the last remaining thing I purchase in person.  My local egg dealer has lower prices than Amazon on their rubs, even factoring in tax.

Phoenix 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Not sure if all the opinions are helping or hurting. Regardless, I will add mine:

1) Cow Lick - Steaks
    2) Shaking the tree - Chicken and popcorn
    4) Original or course grind for ribs and butts.
    3) Red Eye on lamb and roast beef for lunchmeat.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • RockyTopDW
    Options
    i've tried Raising the Steaks and was unimpressed.  I prefer "Texas T bones" rub.  after seeing this I'm gonna pick up some Cow Lick today.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My favorite is Tsunami Spin. It goes well with just about everything. Raging River is my close second, followed by Dizzy Dust. 

I buy them from my local BGE dealer.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've enjoyed all the DP stuff. For starters, I'd suggest getting samplers. There may be ones you just gotta have.

For me, a 50/50 blend of Dizzy Dust and Swamp Venom is perfect for ribs.
    , and pork un general.

I went nuts for Raisin' the Steaks for awhile, but do tend to use Cowlick more.

I've used Ragin' River on everything. Even mix it w. butter and spread it on bisquits.

The Bombay Curry-ish is quite nice, and I say this have both an Indian and an extensive Oriental markets in town.

• dinosaurjnr
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. Found a local place that carries just about all the DP rubs. Dangerous. Going to go stock up today.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Tsunami Spin is our go-to for chicken
    Cow Lick for steaks and burgers
    Dizzy Dust for pork 
    Red Eye for steaks and pork chops

Get those 4 and you'll be off to a great start. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG