Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning daisy wheel

Options
Can anybody recommend a good way to clean the daisy wheel?  I've had my egg about 5 years and the wheel has gotten so gunked it's frozen until it gets hot enough to work loose.  I wouldn't think soap would be good for the seasoned metal.

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I just put mine in my Egg while it's cooling down.   You can wipe them clean while they're hot and most if not all the gunk will come off.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    If you have been using the egg for five years I assume you have done many cleaning burns (say, 700 or 800 degrees for a few hours).  Just sit the wheel on the grate while doing this and it will clean it the same way.
    Toronto ON
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    +1 to what @YEMTrey and @Simcan said.  I have not had any problems by putting it in the egg during cool down.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I bought my used and put the Daisy Wheel in egg on cool down a few times after oiling it to reseason it.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    It may need a clean burn depends what "gunked up" looks like. Otherwise do as suggested
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    It may need a clean burn depends what "gunked up" looks like. Otherwise do as suggested
    +1 ... You'll need some Hi-Temp paint when your done as you'll be done to bare metal
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Foil Balls

I took out my guts for the first time (after 1 1 /2) and was amazed at the soot powder built up on the side of the Egg. Decided to give the Daisy a quick "scrub" too. Did the inside and the foil ball worked well too in the top holes. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I've never been a fan of the "burn it clean" due to the rust that TYPICALLY follows. Instead I would soak mine overnight in household ammonia. In the morning using a stiff brush and wearing gloves it will clean up like new. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TMCCGator
    Options

On a related subject, any suggestions on removing a daisy wheel that has been stuck on a LBGE for 7 or 8 years?  It doesn't budge when I try to remove it and I'm afraid of cracking the ceramic using too much elbow grease.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Large BGE
    Port Orange, FL
  • Simcan
    Options
    @RRP. I admit my wheel is pretty rusty. Doesn't seem to impact performance though so I don't really mind.
    Toronto ON
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    When mine gets gunked up I light the Egg and leave it on the grate. Once cooled, wire wheel and repaint. Could also clean it by electrolysis. Tablespoon of PH+ (pool product) per gallon of water in a plastic container. Hook up the ground side of a battery charger to the Daisy wheel. Get a piece of scrap steel, hook the positive side to it and turn on the battery charger. As long as both the DW and the scrap steel are in the water, not touching of course, the cleaning process will be happening.  Should see bubbles...
  • RRP
    Options
    Simcan said:
    @RRP. I admit my wheel is pretty rusty. Doesn't seem to impact performance though so I don't really mind.
    Oh, I understand!

BTW I like bright shiny thinks so I left the daisy world long ago when I switched to SmokeWare caps.

• RRP
    Options

TMCCGator said:

On a related subject, any suggestions on removing a daisy wheel that has been stuck on a LBGE for 7 or 8 years?  It doesn't budge when I try to remove it and I'm afraid of cracking the ceramic using too much elbow grease.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would spray it well with Easy Off oven cleaner - though it may need 2 or 3 attempts working with it between applications. Protect surrounding area from overspray as EO can do damage to finishes and as soon as it does come loose I'd move it elsewhere to finish it off. BTW it will be a mess as EO does it thing!
  • Simcan
    Options
    @RRP I have one of those, too.  I find it works great for low and slow but I have a terrible time stabilizing at 350+ using it.  It fluctuates wildly no matter what I try.  So it is back to the daisy wheel if I am doing chicken or whatever, smokeware for brisket and butt.
    Toronto ON
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    My used egg had lots of soot/ grease built up on the neck, it wasnt affecting the daisy wheel as much as the cap.  I used this product and a scrub brush and removed most of the gunk and now its cleaner and the caps go on and off easier.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • TMCCGator
    Options
    Thanks @RRP. I'll give that a try. If I can get the daisy wheel off I plan on replacing it with one of those shiny things too.
    Large BGE
    Port Orange, FL
  • Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Options
    I took mine apart and washed it with a big dose of Dawn dish soap and a small copper wire brush.  Then went in the oven for a quick bake to dry off.  My biggest problem is when I open the Egg, the daisy wheel opens and I have to reset it.  
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    The daisywheel is CI, so I would never paint it. Take it apart and use a bit of elbow grease, reassemble and re-season and it will look as good as new:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1181727/seasoned-my-daisy-wheel#latest
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

I had "clean burned" mine..it took everything off. Discolored the spring handle...and it ended up with rust on 1 side.

I took everything apart....glass bead blasted the cast iron...steel wooled the spring handle and screws & washers. Oiled with flaxseed baked it ..it looks like new

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• outrageous
    Options
    Chris8938 said:
    I took mine apart and washed it with a big dose of Dawn dish soap and a small copper wire brush.  Then went in the oven for a quick bake to dry off.  My biggest problem is when I open the Egg, the daisy wheel opens and I have to reset it.  

Chris, if you line the screw which holds the daisy wheel on to the front of the egg, the wheel will not move as u open n shut egg

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• dougcrann
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    The daisywheel is CI, so I would never paint it. Take it apart and use a bit of elbow grease, reassemble and re-season and it will look as good as new:

It is indeed CI...but it is not in the cooking area so what harm will painting it do?
  • RRP
    Options
    dougcrann said:

It is indeed CI...but it is not in the cooking area so what harm will painting it do?
    I agree with you @dougcrann ! The couple times over the years that I cleaned my Miss Daisey in the ammonia bath as I described some where in this thread then I would follow up by spray painting her with high temperature black paint made specifically for BBQ grills! I just don't like the look of rust.
  • Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Options
    Chris8938 said:

Chris, if you line the screw which holds the daisy wheel on to the front of the egg, the wheel will not move as u open n shut egg
    Thanks for the tip.  I appreciate it!!
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • dougcrann
    Options
    RRP said:
    dougcrann said:

I agree with you @dougcrann ! The couple times over the years that I cleaned my Miss Daisey in the ammonia bath as I described some where in this thread then I would follow up by spray painting her with high temperature black paint made specifically for BBQ grills! I just don't like the look of rust.
    Me neither. With all the different angle changes reseasoning it would be a PITA. 
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Once down to BARE METAL, it may be possible to take to a Powder Coater.   I think some of those coatings will withstand some pretty high temps.

Please let me know if that actually is feasible?    I think powder coated in some really neat color would really ADD to the grill.   Replace nuts/bolts stuff with 18-8 Stainless.   Or Brass?
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    SkySaw said:

It's not that it would do any harm; It's just that with how simple it is to clean and re-season CI, painting seems like an unnecessary pain. Also, I prefer the look of the plain CI to painted, especially when the paint begins to chip off.