Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gluten free pizza crust

We tried the cup 4 cup pizza crust mix tonight and it was by far the best gluten free crust we have done. Most of the others have been gritty and tough to get crispy... This one cooked and tasted just like the non GF alternatives.
Swmbo is celiac and we had all but given up on egg pizza when we came across thus suggestion.
We tried this based on a suggestion in the baking forum, but Swmbo isn't much on beer so I stuck close to the package directions except cooking on the egg. I got the egg to a stable 500 with the stone, par cooked in a pan for 10 minutes then removed the pan and added toppings cooking right on the stone for another 10... 

The manufacture website had a store locator so we found the mix at Williams Sonoma, but we also noted that it's available on Amazon. 
http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Pizza-Crust-17-9/dp/B00H8ZRX14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444529406&sr=8-1&keywords=Cup+4+cup+pizza

Needless to say it was a home run.

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I've tried several gluten free pizzas and they have turned out decent. I used recipes from several places including http://againstallgrain.com/2012/08/07/meat-lovers-pizza/

Are you going straight Paleo?  There are plenty of things you can accomplish on the egg and elsewhere that will bring a smile to your wife and stay Paleo and gluten free.   Good luck. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Thanks Blake...I check it out...we aren't really following paleo, she just had to eliminate all wheat...she gets pretty sick if she accidentally consumes it.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Mike I know several folks that have the same affliction. Improvise, Adapt & Overcome and you'll persevere! You've got this :smile: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Thanks...she has had it for about a year...we have finally turned a corner I think,  and have a pretty solid menu of stuff to get by...but I always look forward to finding new wins.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Have the same issue at my house.  I still buy my bread we axed pizza.  But other than that we get along fine.  We buy a cup for cup gluten free flower that works good for things like spätzle and roux.  We buy gf pasta (brown rice) at trader joes and pretty go carb free other than my occasional sandwich or toast.  And the above mentioned alternatives.  Pizza is one thing she misses the most so I will check that out.  Doughs are so sticky gluten free it's hard to work with.
  • @U_tarded I have had the same experience with almost eberything else i tried, but this cup 4 cup pack was quite opposite. Reminded me of the good ole days.  I kneeded it by hand and it felt just a little crumbly when I separated the dough into 2 balls for 2 crusts but not bad at all...I even rolled it like normal.  It felt just a little grItty when I washed my hands but nothing like the others.