Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor TV cabinet - protection?

Options
I had a TV mounted on my patio wall but just go new siding so don't really want to mount anything to that.  I've been considering buying a used TV cabinet / armoire off of C'list to put the TV in with all the other stuff.  My patio is pretty well covered but do I need to seal the cabinet with a marine coating or something to keep it better protected?  

Any ideas?  

meredith
Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob

Comments

• Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    How long have you had TV on patio?
    I've had friends that used TV's that weren't intended for outside the house, on a patio. They had to replace them every couple of years. Things had shorted out once.
    If your TV was mounted on the wall you will have to find the "foot" to place the TV on in the cabinet (also make sure the TV can't fall out with straps). Make sure the cabinet is isolated from ground/concrete, termites may find your wooden cabinet. The paint or varnish is optional.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a TV in my yard in a case I built that gets rain and sun.  Been there almost 3 years and still works.
    Options
    I've had it out there for about 2 years but I do bring it in when the weather is gonna be bad.  I've had it in a cabinet-type thing with a cover on it.  I got a sweet deal on it on Black Friday 2 years ago so if it goes out, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.  I still have the foot for it since I do bring it in during the winter months.  
    Good point about the straps.  I'm looking at a few cabinets with doors on them so I can close it up when I'm not out there.  
    But what is better than sitting outside on a nice day watching college football and Egging?  I gotta make this happen soon! 
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Not completely on point with your question, saw this and thought it was a great idea for tailgateing.  www.tvtocbox.com
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow