Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it just me, everytime i open the MM

Options
SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
edited October 2015 in EggHead Forum
I think really, why does my fire ring look so silly and not fit the mini max like every other product line fire ring? Cutting corners that I notice 6months post ownership.
Seattle, WA

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yeah it's crappy. They didn't design one for it they just put the small one in it. 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Is that what it is? Dang it. I noticed the same thing. I sill love it though. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    The KJ Jr. Ring fits perfect.  =)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Oh yeah...well...its...its...RED.  ;)
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    I know, I know.  :o
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I think really, why does my fire ring look so silly and not fit the mini max like every other product line fire ring? Cutting corners that I notice 6months post ownership.

I'm over it, but that was my thoughts when I first put it together. Some stuff in life is worth overlooking.   
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    The medium has the same fit with fire ring and fire box. I just have to ask is the food tasting loose? :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Lit
    Options
    The medium has the same fit with fire ring and fire box. I just have to ask is the food tasting loose? :)
    My issue is with limited cooking space already they wasted several square inches of cooking space. It sucks that it's loose and moves around but wasting space is way worse.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    It bothered me when I first got it, but not anymore.  I take it out when I'm moving it around anyway to make it lighter.  Being smaller makes it easier for me to get my paws on it and take it out.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I understand and I can help you out! Private message me with your address and I will come pick it up problem solved. :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    For the premium price they are asking for that thing you would think they had the wherewithal to make another cast.  
  • Lit
    Options
    I understand and I can help you out! Private message me with your address and I will come pick it up problem solved. :)
    $500 and it's yours. I will go buy another KJ jr for $350 that has parts made to fit right.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Whoa I only said I would come pick it up not buy it! Seriously is it really that bad? My medium was the same way but the food was awesome, I gave it to my Daughter and SIL and they love it. I gave it to them because I had 2-larges, 1-medium, 1-small and the mini and they did not have an Egg.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Lit
    Options
    Whoa I only said I would come pick it up not buy it! Seriously is it really that bad? My medium was the same way but the food was awesome, I gave it to my Daughter and SIL and they love it. I gave it to them because I had 2-larges, 1-medium, 1-small and the mini and they did not have an Egg.
    I have had a medium it's way worse than that. It's bad enough that you notice it as soon as you open it. I measured it back when I got it there is almost an inch between the egg wall and the outside of the fire ring. That's a lot of wasted cooking space. It's a great cooler but for the price they are charging for it they shouldn't have cut any corners.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Did they just re-use the Small fire ring? Almost sounds like it. Anyone have both a Small and MM and can confirm?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Photo for the un-MM-informed?
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    DMW said:
    Did they just re-use the Small fire ring? Almost sounds like it. Anyone have both a Small and MM and can confirm?

If I remember right, someone did confirm some time ago when the mm first came out. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Not to side track this, but do any of the MM owners have an issue with the handles? I've seen a few pics on Facebook of broken handles.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Not to side track this, but do any of the MM owners have an issue with the handles? I've seen a few pics on Facebook of broken handles.
    I saw that too. Luckily a forum member made me (and a couple others) billet aluminum handles.  ((Which reminds me, I still owe him a bag of Rockwood.)) crap. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Lit
    Options
    The handles do feel pretty flimsy. I was planning on figuring out a way to put threaded rod through the handle when I got it but I got a rolling stand for it so I haven;t used the handles in awhile. Good to know others have had them fail I will make sure I figure something out soon. Planning on taking it to Florida for Thanksgiving.
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    The fire ring is actually different from the MM to the small.  I read a post about this issue some time ago and when I was at my dealer I pulled a small and a MM apart.  The fire rings were different, they didn't reuse the small ring in the MM.  
  • VANcouverEGG
    Options
    My medium has no issues. Lucky i guess. 
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I saw that too. Luckily a forum member made me (and a couple others) billet aluminum handles.  ((Which reminds me, I still owe him a bag of Rockwood.)) crap. 
    Pay $600 for bad handles and poor fit of grate and fire ring?  Not me, thank you. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Lit said:
    $500 and it's yours. I will go buy another KJ jr for $350 that has parts made to fit right.
    Where can you get the KJ Jr for $350? Costco roadshow? I don't have Costco locally and Ace wants $500, rather spend the extra hundred so they match, not a fan of red, black would have been ok though 
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Costco specials have them at 399 now. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Lit
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Lit said:
    Where can you get the KJ Jr for $350? Costco roadshow? I don't have Costco locally and Ace wants $500, rather spend the extra hundred so they match, not a fan of red, black would have been ok though 
    My original joe jr was $300. Last I saw at the Costco roadshow was $350. Even if it's $400 it comes with raised and indirect cooking which makes the MM $600.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I got my KJ Jr for $350 shipped with tax and an assload of accessories.  Love it.
    Options
    For me personally, when someone tells me that a certain product is "just as good as, or better than" the tried and true, I just smile and recognize that everyone has their opinion. 

And then I go and enjoy my green egg.....
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush