Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raw or Sauté Veggies for Pizza

Options
 Working on my first Egg pizza.   Cooking time is short with a high temp - will raw veggies cook or should I sauté them first? Thanks

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I always use mushrooms, onions and green pepper strips and they go on raw. My  Good luck with your first pizza - it won't be your last!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GatorConch
    Options
    Thanks. Looking forward to it with an ice cold brew!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    A lot depends on how thick/thin the veggies are too; I don't precook anything except the sauce (sometimes) but cut everything thin (I don't like really thick, heavy pizzas).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    As they said already everything raw but not sliced thick.  I use a wood fired oven for my pizza and I have no problems with raw veggies and my pizzas cook about 2 minutes.  The only thing I cook is bacon.

Enjoy your in for a real treat.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    If the mushrooms are thick cut, we sauté them in oo & garlic first to get the water out.  I like them better than thin sliced raw.  

Everything else goes on raw, although I've used left over cooked squash and other veggies with good success.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I always sauté the onions and green peppers.  They never seem to get done enough, even with the pizza up in the dome.  If I use hamburger or sausage, it gets fried up beforehand.  Mushrooms are OK sliced, as is pepperoni and Canadian bacon. Use a lot of pulled pork on my pizzas also.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,619
    Options
    We usually precook shrooms and eggplant and often caramelized onions.  Everything else gets the mandolin treatment and goes on wafer thin.