Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

100ish drumsticks

Options
Looking to cook a large quantity of chicken legs.  I do tons of briskets and butts but the party i'm cooking for would like drumsticks.  I'm sure I can fit a lot on an xl with stacked grids but I've never cooked drumsticks.  From what I've read, a lot of folks recommend 350-400 indirect for roughly an hour rubbed down with what you like.  Does anyone have any experience with FTC for drumsticks.  Party is not at my house so I'd like to keep these fairly warm for about an hour
XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I believe @Ladeback69 has done something similar. Maybe he can chime in with some hints
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    The issue with FTC is that the humidity will impact skin texture.  Other than that solid plan, will work fine 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Can you move the egg to the party location?

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    Can you move the egg to the party location?
    I probably could but I'm also doing a few overnight packers and would rather be at home.  That would solve that issue though 

• hoofaloos
    Options

johnnyp said:
    The issue with FTC is that the humidity will impact skin texture.  Other than that solid plan, will work fine 
    Good point.  Would probably be the same issue if I just put them in a covered pan to transport as well.  

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    I believe @Ladeback69 has done something similar. Maybe he can chime in with some hints

hoofaloos said:

johnnyp said:
    Good point.  Would probably be the same issue if I just put them in a covered pan to transport as well.  

I have only FTC'd a whole chicken and that was just for an hour or so.  It was still hot and juice, but I think @johnnyp's idea of a pan would be better.  They would also be ready to serve by just taking the foil off.  

Sounds like a great party, take lots of pictures for us to see, please.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    WeberWho? said:

hoofaloos said:

johnnyp said:

I have only FTC'd a whole chicken and that was just for an hour or so.  It was still hot and juice, but I think @johnnyp's idea of a pan would be better.  They would also be ready to serve by just taking the foil off.  

Sounds like a great party, take lots of pictures for us to see, please.

Thanks.  Certainly will be pics to come

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I've done 30+ drumsticks for a neighborhood party every Christmas. A couple of years ago, my wife was getting ready and they had to sit on a tray for an extra 45 minutes. I had them foiled with a towel over the foil to keep them warm. The skin got too rubbery for me but everyone liked them. 

Would you have an opportunity to hit them with a little direct heat (maybe on a gasser) when you get there? You could make sure the skin crisped up if they get a little soft. I have warmed up leftover drumsticks the next day this way and worked out OK. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    @Ladeback69 Didn't you cook a crap ton of legs for some party not long ago? Maybe I'm losing my mind.....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    I've done 30+ drumsticks for a neighborhood party every Christmas. A couple of years ago, my wife was getting ready and they had to sit on a tray for an extra 45 minutes. I had them foiled with a towel over the foil to keep them warm. The skin got too rubbery for me but everyone liked them. 

Would you have an opportunity to hit them with a little direct heat (maybe on a gasser) when you get there? You could make sure the skin crisped up if they get a little soft. I have warmed up leftover drumsticks the next day this way and worked out OK. 
    no gasser but an oven.  maybe a couple of minutes under a broiler?

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    @Ladeback69 Didn't you cook a crap ton of legs for some party not long ago? Maybe I'm losing my mind.....
    Not me, I have cooked some regular chicken legs, but nothing like 100 or wings either.  Sorry.  I guess you are losing your mind. ;)  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    hoofaloos said:
    minniemoh said:

Yes!!!! Or just bake setting on hot 400+
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    hoofaloos said:
    minniemoh said:

Yes!!!! Or just bake setting on hot 400+
    Perfect!  Thanks