Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Everybody's due one Pork Butt question, right? Here's mine.

Options
As I stand in my happy place, overlooking all that is good (in the meat cooler at Restaurant Depot), I'm wondering if there any tricks to  selecting a good butt?  The one I did yesterday came out fatty - I mean REALLY FATTY.  It came in a two pack, and it's butt buddy came out terrific last week when prepared the same way.

I trimmed the butt, applied rub and put it on with a steady temp, ranging from 240-250 for the whole cook.  When IT reached 165 I foiled.  Pulled it when "probed like buttah" with an IT of 204.  I did not peek other than when I foiled.  The reason I've been foiling lately is that we like a softer bark.  If it matters, it was a 6 pounder after trimming, and it had been frozen for about a week.  The flavor was great, but the large lumps of unrendered fat was off putting.

So, I'm guessing it's probably just the luck of the draw, but if anyone has any Butt Selection Tips, or critiques of my method I'd be all ears.
Phoenix 

Comments

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I have done Pork Butts with and without foiling. I prefer low and slow at 225 grate temp. It renders the fat better IMO compared to foiling. I also inject using the simple brine recipe from Chris Lilly. If you FTC the butt after it probes like butter your bark will be less dry and could be a happy compromise.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Thanks @dstearn .  I will try holding off on the foil until the end.
    Phoenix 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    No foil needed with the egg when low and slow. Do you pre-trim?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @blasting it is luck of the draw when you buy them in quantity. I know exactly what you mean by the fatty inside and no you did NOT cook it wrong. Out of the 200 or 300 butts I have cooked I think I have only gotten 3 that were like that. 
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • blasting
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @WeberWho?   Thanks, yes, I pre-trim.  This was my 3rd one that I've foiled at the 165 mark - they other two turned out great.  This one tasted the same and looked good, just super fatty.  I'm going to skip the foil next time and just FTC at the end to soften up.

@badinfluence thanks for weighing in.  That's good to know

Phoenix 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    No foil 

No trim

225-250

fat-side down
    New Albany, Ohio 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    No foil 

No trim

225-250

fat-side down
    And the congregation says "Ahmen."
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I look for a really nice well defined money muscle and go from there. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    On real fatty ones I trim the center fat out after smoking and before shredding.  Yield suffers, but what I get is better.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    I put on those high temp rubber gloves and pull by hand, using my fingers to discard big lumps of fat.
  • rickdic1
    Options
    Should the butt be allowed to get to room temp before cooking, or do y'all just put it straight on?

Carrollton, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @rickdic1-a butt can go straight from the freezer to BGE-just add around an hour to your projected cook time.  No need to warm. 
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Always cook to finish temp or feel. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    rickdic1 said:
    Should the butt be allowed to get to room temp before cooking, or do y'all just put it straight on?

Pork will do fine straight on from fridge or freezer.  If you toss it on frozen then in an hour pull to season then put back on.

Beef is best when allowed to warm to room temp.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited September 2015
    Options

Bone-in and verify that is NOT  "Enhanced" (pumped full of salt water) This can also make for a mushy butt.

Trim most all of the fat cap, any large pockets of fat and any fat that is more than 1/4".

Be sure to check for any nodes if you can.

No foil, go 275-300 indirect. Usually 5-7 hours @ 300 for a 9-10 lb.

Bone pull out cleanly, it's done.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    i dont foil but im thinking foil quickens the cook so theres less rendering.  you could either try tenting or a really loose foil so that the steam escapes or basting can help keep the bark soft. also if you want less bark then leave the fat cap on and slip it off before shredding
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blasting
    Options
    Thanks everybody, I appreciate your responses.  

I've picked up a few ways to modify my procedure.  I'm going to look for look for a well defined money muscle (I'll have to look this up).  Instead of foiling in the middle of the cook I'll foil when finished (to soften the bark), and I will pull apart with gloves prior to shredding in order to find any large remaining clumps of fat.

Some mentioned not to trim the fat cap pre cook.  I read in a thread you should trim it to get full bark.  Whats the down side of trimming it? 

Phoenix 
  • badinfluence
    Options
    There is no downside of not trimming. You will get better bark and a whole lot less far drippings in the drip pan.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    blasting said:
    I read in a thread you should trim it to get full bark.  Whats the down side of trimming it? 

Wait, that's 2 questions!
  • rickdic1
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @rickdic1-a butt can go straight from the freezer to BGE-just add around an hour to your projected cook time.  No need to warm. 
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Always cook to finish temp or feel. 
    Thanks to you and Ozzie_isaac
    Carrollton, GA
  • mimauler
    Options
    In my opinion foiling keeps the butts from rendering some of the fat.  I've tried both ways and have found in my case there is always more fat in the foiled butt. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I'm a 330 turbo fan and no foil, and I trim off the fat cap, plus a lot of excess exterior fat. I never cut one open to start with and just deal with the hidden interior globs when I encounter them.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.